Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Is my iPhone 15 compromised?

Somehow, and I’m super cautious and live solo, my iPhone 15promax got hacked. An additional user name was installed under my ID info. Of course I went straight to the Genius Bar. Was guided there. Changed all PWs. Shut down and deleted things I didn’t use. Am awaiting the deactivation of IG (several weeks) and trying to delete FB as these two apps were still being accessed remotely. I get an email reporting an unusual login. These are not phishing emails. (Pretty sure). So, after weeks, I’m frustrated and ready to do a factory reset. Has anyone else had to do this? Or have a better solution?

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on May 24, 2024 8:25 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2024 8:48 AM in response to HackedID

Access to your IG and FB would have happened on your account operated by their servers, not on your device. Securing your account with those services will have to be done by them, of course you can delete the apps off of your device.

If you receive an email stating that someone logged into your account, view the devices logged in by going to Settings > [name on top], and scroll to the bottom to view the devices that are logged in. If you see a device you do not recognize, you can remove it and you should also change your password. Without any other devices listed there, it does indicate a phishing email. To prevent phishing, just never trust a link sent to you either by email/message and there is no reason to respond to these and provide any information. If you do receive a message/email from a company that requires action, always goes to their official site using Safari and do not assume that a link from an email will take you there.

Everything detailed here only indicates that you may have had your accounts compromised simply by someone who was able to get your passwords to those services. They did not get them from hacking your iPhone and changing those passwords will secure your accounts. You should also use two factor authentication where available to make sure another device cannot log into your accounts even if they know your password.

You can perform a Factory Reset, but that will have no effect on an account that has been compromised. To further verify that you are not sharing information to anyone else and to review the devices using your account, you can run Safety Check.

How Safety Check on iPhone works to keep you safe - Apple Support

May 24, 2024 8:53 AM in response to HackedID

HackedID wrote:

Somehow, and I’m super cautious and live solo, my iPhone 15promax got hacked. An additional user name was installed under my ID info. Of course I went straight to the Genius Bar. Was guided there. Changed all PWs. Shut down and deleted things I didn’t use. Am awaiting the deactivation of IG (several weeks) and trying to delete FB as these two apps were still being accessed remotely. I get an email reporting an unusual login. These are not phishing emails. (Pretty sure). So, after weeks, I’m frustrated and ready to do a factory reset. Has anyone else had to do this? Or have a better solution?

iPhones don't have "user names" so it's not exactly clear what you were seeing. Where were you seeing this?

If you believe your Facebook and Instagram accounts have been compromised, that's something you need to take up with their support. It has nothing to do with your phone. It is not any indication that your phone has been compromise. Delete the apps from your phone; it will run better.

Yes, it is possible for someone to compromise your phone. Has anyone had access to your phone while it was unlocked? Have you jailbroken your phone? To compromise your phone remotely would cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. Unless you are a high-profile activist, journalist or politician, it is unlikely that someone would be willing to spend that kind of money just to access your phone.

The bottom line is, that while it is possible for a phone to be compromised, for most of us it such a remote possibility that it's not worth worrying about. If something is wrong with your phone, there is another reason.

Is my iPhone 15 compromised?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.