After updating to Safari Version 17.5 (17618.2.12.111.5, 17618) it sometimes crashes

Hello,

My previous Safari version (before updating my Mac to macOS Monterey 12.7.5) worked fine. Now I have Safari version 17.5 (17618.2.12.111.5, 17618) and it crashes about 3 to 4 times per day, e.g. when clicking on a link or closing a Safari window. The situation can't be reproduced.

I haven't changed anything else on my Mac, just installed both updates.

Is this a known bug?

Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on May 24, 2024 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2024 4:27 AM

exactly the same issue. safari crashes when i close a tab either by alt+w or x icon mouse.

safari 17.5 (17618.2.12.111.5)

very unstable. sometimes it works even after closing 20+ tabs. sometimes crashes repeatedly.

it started after 12.7.5 update monterey.

32 replies

Jun 4, 2024 11:16 AM in response to coxorange

Same issue here. Started the moment I ran the last Safari security update (also running Monterey 12.7.5). Anytime I close a new browser window, Safari crashes.

Additionally, I have websites where some images are not displaying. This is happening to my Shopify store and only started happening after the last update. Browsing the same pages on Chrome/Firefox, the images are loading/displaying correctly. This same behaviour started happening on all of our work Macs with the same Safari security update so it's not a website/image issue.

Absolute garbage from Apple on this one. Everyday I look to see if there's a new Safari update that's going to fix these issues as it's driving me nuts.

Jun 2, 2024 10:04 PM in response to Old Toad

This is complete garbage. I own Apple products for ease of use, and every time Apple updates the operating system, it results in downstream problems for me. The "ease of use" factor is no longer a plus, since it is nonexistent. I can't go through all these steps just to be able to use Safari (which is an Apple product) on my iPhone. I appreciate the step-by-step directions, but I am not very computer-savvy.

May 30, 2024 9:34 AM in response to jvspringrose

jvspringrose wrote:

Having similar problems on my iMac running same 12.7.5 OS Monterey. Since update to Safari 17.5 (17618.2.12.111.5), I've not had problems with crashes, but many times loading of frequently-visited websites is extremely prolonged, up to 1 minute or more. (Other times it seems Safari remembers the website has been visited and loads in a flash!??). I've done speed testing for our ISP (Cox) and up/down speeds ~940MBPS each, so input is good. My wife has identical problems on her iMac, iPhones and iPad. She's headed to the Apple Store today to have them check it out. (Her iMac is running OS Sonoma 14.5, Safari 17.5 (19618.2.12.11.6)).

Try the following:

1 - turn off the modem, router and Mac.

2 - turn them back on in this order: modem, router and then the Mac.

3 - check to see if the problem persists.

Jun 17, 2024 2:57 AM in response to coxorange

I have the same problem on my MacBook Pro mid-2015 Retina. I use macOS Monterey 12.7.2 and never had a problem until I updated to Safari 17.5. The browser crashes when I close a window, click a link, etc.

I'm not sure what is the best thing to do. I read on other posts here and on Reddit that some people have reinstalled the operating system and downloaded an older version of Safari. I would prefer to avoid this route, if possible to find a quicker fix.

Jun 17, 2024 9:05 AM in response to coxorange

Everyone who has this issue, the best thing you can do when it crashes is to go ahead and send the bug report to Apple. I do it everyday, literally 3-5 times a day because that's how many times Safari crashes on me when closing a new window. The other issue that's annoying is how some images in websites simply do not load/display any longer (I just get the blue square with the question mark). Anyhow, the more bug reports Apple receives from this issue, the higher the likelihood that they actually address and fix it. C'mon Apple!

Jun 20, 2024 8:39 AM in response to coxorange

Yesterday night, I restarted my Mac in Safe Mode and browsed online with Safari for around 20 - 25 minutes.

After that, I restarted the computer and used Safari for about an hour with no crashes at all. Today, I have been working with my laptop all day and Safari hasn't crashed yet.

I believe (and hope) that restarting the Mac in Safe Mode did solve the issue for me.

Browser: Version 17.5

MacBook Pro Retina Mid 2015

macOs Monterey 12.7.2

Processor: 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

May 25, 2024 3:59 PM in response to coxorange

Have you installed and run any "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus or VPN apps on your Mac?

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

After updating to Safari Version 17.5 (17618.2.12.111.5, 17618) it sometimes crashes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.