Since iOS 17.5.1 update, Bluetooth no longer works and iPhone 11 Pro overheats. 😠

Following the latest iOS 17.5.1 update, my iPhone 11 Pro has:

• started overheating, and
  • the Bluetooth won't connect to my car, Alexa Echo or other devices.

My phone gets really hot when Bluetooth is on as it's constantly scanning for devices to connect to.

To connect, I have tried pairing, forgetting, repairing, resetting phone and all devices etc but nothing works.

I did manage to connect to my old wee Juice SoundSquare speaker for all of 5 seconds but it just keeps crashing out.

My daughter's iPhone 14 meanwhile has no issues and continues to work ok across all devices.

My iPhone is in excellent condition. It has not been dropped or bashed nor has anything changed - accept for the iOS update. I felt pressured into buying more (2TB) Apple memory because of this and have just back up the phone.

Can any one suggest a fix as I can't afford a new phone due to cost of living crisis. 😭

Apple Support did run remote analytics but could find nothing wrong. Suggested I wipe the phone.

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on May 25, 2024 5:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2024 2:29 PM

Have problem with bluetooth too after 17.5.1 update. 13 Pro Max.

Bluetooth works with everything except macbook Sonoma 14.5 (23F79).

Switching on and of , and reboot of both devices didn't help.

15 replies

Jun 2, 2024 8:54 AM in response to J9Apple

I’m having similar problems with my iPhone 15 Pro Max after updating to 17.5.1 yesterday. Bluetooth is no longer able to play audio using my car as output device.

The connection is made but no audio is transmitted. When using Apple Music it seems that it tries to switch audio device several times (pausing and playing), but stops completely after a few tries.

This looks like a regression impacting several users.

May 25, 2024 6:41 AM in response to WheelieNick

I have done this and have also completed a full factory reset using my backup files to get started again.

Bluetooth still keeps searching for devices to pair with. Having reset all devices, it now briefly connects to:

• SoundSquare mini speaker for 20 secs before disconnecting completely again, and

• Briefly connects to Amazon Echo BUT only if the phone is placed right on top of the Echo device. It then stutters its way through one of my iTunes tracks before stopping a minute later. It sounds like a really bad radio connection.

• When you go into the Bluetooth settings menu, the device is still constantly searching for devices to connect to - probably the reason the phone is overheating as it remains cool when Bluetooth is switched off.

Haven’t even tried connecting to the car hands free yet - if I can’t get a simple wee speaker to connect in the house, the car is unlikely to pair.

** @Apple This only started happening after iOS 17.5.1 update. **

I really hope there is a fix. After budget cutbacks, my Apple iPhone and Apple Music are my last remaining (and only just affordable) pleasures.

@Apple apart from this recent Bluetooth nonsense, my phone is in excellent condition. If this is your way of trying to force me to buy a new phone or a new battery it’s a really poor and extremely ineffective marketing tactic and so damaging for your brand.

I am one of the many hard working Apple lovers significantly impacted by UK austerity. I simply do not have the money to upgrade at this time. If this Apple iPhone 11 Pro issue continues with no fix, I’ll vote with my feet and revert to a less costly Android. So sad after years of being a loyal Apple fan! ☹️

Jun 6, 2024 10:57 PM in response to J9Apple

Since the update to 17.5.1 Bluetooth isn't working (iPhone 14 Pro Max) and I cannot connect to all Bluetooth devices including Airpods Pro. Bluetooth is off and cannot be launches. Sometimes it is on and then disappears without touching the phone...

Tried all sorts of bug-fixes but nothing is helping.

@Apple - Please fix this problem quickly!!

May 25, 2024 1:42 PM in response to J9Apple

I am having this bluetooth issue along with WiFi issues as well. I have an iPhone 13 mini. Connections WIFI and Bluetooth drop randomly.

My Apple watch doesn't retain connection. Hard resets randomly work.

My wifi and Bluetooth doesn't connect immediately, however it does after hard resetting the device it for a few minutes then drops again.

Resetting network settings makes no difference.

I Find this bizarre as I had no problems before 17.5......

My Device had a rear system repair earlier this year after a logic board failure.

I fear I will have to do a DFU Restore and set up as new, I really do not want to go there.

Jun 10, 2024 7:08 AM in response to J9Apple

Same issue, after being forced update to iOS 17.5.1 (automatic update was switched off!), my iPhone 13 encounters very unstable connection via Bluetooth with my car's audio system.

I can trigger a connect, but the bluetooth get disconnected in the next second.

The issue was not there in iOS 17.4.2.

apple please fix the issue.

Jun 6, 2024 11:08 PM in response to J9Apple

It's not always the iOS update's fault!  Many things can cause phone problems.  If you tell people you think it's an iOS update, it might make it harder to fix or find a solution for the real issue.

Remember, the right question often leads to the solution! Please look in the right direction.

iOS updates aim to enhance user experience, boost security, and fix bugs rather than disrupt core features. The majority of the issues after updates might stem from underlying, unmentioned factors. Updates won't typically alter personal data but may refine settings or features. Backup before major updates for safety. Review Apple's update details and backup advice for a smooth process.

Kindly consider checking your settings and addressing any device issues before attributing the issue to external factors. This could be a pure coincidence that the iOS update affected the iPhone functions.

Before initiating a standard iOS update, it's advisable to create a backup. Have you completed this step? If yes, proceed with the restoration from the backup.

See what each update does: About iOS 17 Updates, About iOS 16 Updates, About iOS 15 Updates, About iOS 14 Updates, About iOS 13 Updates, About iOS 12 Updates, and so on...

Jun 8, 2024 11:41 AM in response to J9Apple

What car do you drive? My car is a 2015 VW and I've been having these exact same issues with bluetooth since 17.5.1. I know quite a few things about cars, so I was pretty confident I could fix my car's bluetooth myself, but after multiple hours of work and fully rewiring parts of the electrical harness, it still wasn't working. Took it to a VW dealership and they told me I had already tried everything they could have thought of and the only option to fix it would be to replace the whole entertainment system. Then I saw people saying they've been having the same issue after updating to 17.5.1.

I'm a computer scientist by trade so looking at the technical side of things, I suspect the iOS update impacted the phone's backwards compatibility with older bluetooth versions. In 2015, the most recent bluetooth version was 4.2. Currently it's 5.3, and while bluetooth is supposed to be compatible with all prior versions, I'm suspicious that the iOS update is interfering.

So, if you don't mind me asking, what year is your car? If it's 2020 or prior, my theory could be correct.

Since iOS 17.5.1 update, Bluetooth no longer works and iPhone 11 Pro overheats. 😠

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.