iPod earphone volume

I have an iPod purchased in the United States, and I use the earphone jack to run music to my wired speakers. Why on earth has Apple incorporated a volume control that I can’t override if I don’t have headphones? And why on earth would I agree to letting the World Health Organization dictate to me what safe hearing levels are? There should be some sort of setting that I can change to allow me to play music through my stereo. Without restrictions.

iPod, iOS 15

Posted on May 25, 2024 9:53 AM

1 reply

May 26, 2024 2:16 AM in response to Pubdad

Pubdad wrote:

And why on earth would I agree to letting the World Health Organization dictate to me what safe hearing levels are?

I can't offer any more than an opinion about this (nor can anyone else), but perhaps the following might put it into perspective and possibly help you understand why things are the way they are.

First of all, I have to be honest, I don't recall the World Health Organisation (WHO) making such an edict. Where did you find that information?

Assuming for now that the WHO has taken the steps you suggest, I believe we all accept what organisations such as the WHO do on our behalf, rather than agree to it. Sometimes, that's the way the world works harmoniously and effectively for all of us. Presumably the WHO have done their research which is why they've made the decision that they did.

I have an iPod purchased in the United States

I'm trying to recall exactly what did happen in this respect as there is a bit of history surrounding maximum volume.

For a while, iPods sold in the European Union (EU) had a lower maximum volume than the rest of the world and if I recall, that maximum could not be overridden. However, not only was this many years ago, but Apple sold them only inside the EU, so therefore not in the United States. Unless you have purchased an old one that was originally intended for the EU, this is not what is affecting you.

Later on, I think that the EU maximum was included on all iPods worldwide but could be turned off. Regardless of this though, iPods have always had a setting to limit the maximum volume, which could be locked, by a parent for example, against over-riding by their child. Look in Settings to ensure this is turned off. The precise menu it's on will depend on which model of iPod you have.

On still later models of iPod such as my 6th generation iPod Touch, in Settings/Music there is a setting for Volume Limit. It can be set to a lower level and additionally on mine (which was purchased in the EU) there is also the option to turn on the EU Volume Limit, but it does not appear to have a lock facility. It's possible that all later models of iPod have this EU option, even though the iPod was not bought in the EU. But it is an option and its default is off.

There is one more thing to take into account; usually, if the audio from an iPod is taken via the Dock Connector or lightning port, its output level should be the standard "line level" and not restricted by the Volume Limit. That's the output that should be used with an amplifier.

iPod earphone volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.