📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need help with Philips Universal Remote and Apple TV 4K

I bought a Philips universal remote model SRP4229B/27-1 because I would like to use the number buttons with Directv Stream, an app within Apple TV 4K. The Philips remote says it's compatible with Apple TV, but it doesn't specifically say 4K.

When I try to pair Philips remote with Apple TV 4K, I select Learn Remote from the menu and when it gets to the button for "Menu or < button", the menu for my Samsung TV comes up and covers the entire screen. There is no "<" button I can select on that remote...so it's selecting the menu on my TV. So I can't complete the setup that way.

I tried to pair it also using the codes I got with my universal remote, which are 2874, 1093, 1664. There is an additional instruction that says if those don't work try 2874 then press the rewind button during the setup process, which also didn't work for me.

Does anyone know if this remote should work with Apple TV 4K, and if so, what I can do to fix it? Or am I doing something incorrectly when the TV menu comes up? I'm trying to program the apple tv for a different source button than the TV.

Posted on May 25, 2024 3:39 PM

3 replies

May 27, 2024 7:36 AM in response to Bethb11

When I try to pair Philips remote with Apple TV 4K, I select Learn Remote from the menu and when it gets to the button for "Menu or < button", the menu for my Samsung TV comes up and covers the entire screen. There is no "<" button I can select on that remote...so it's selecting the menu on my TV.

Try using the Back/​Return button (↩︎) for this function.

Use other remotes to control Apple TV - Apple Support

Need help with Philips Universal Remote and Apple TV 4K

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.