Does Netflix work over the Apple TV box (from an iPhone)

I’m thinking about getting an Apple TV device, its main purpose would be to stream movies from the Netflix app (or others like Disney+).

I bought a Lightning to HDMI adapter which doesn’t work with Netflix, apparently because the content is copyright protected. Would I have the same problem when using Apple TV?

Edit: If it works, would it matter if I picked up a used one? Other than the higher resolution, would there be a difference in my case?

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on May 26, 2024 1:38 AM

7 replies

May 26, 2024 7:20 AM in response to KurterinO

Apple TV's are NOT DVRs so they do not record, there are some apps (such as Hulu Pro) that does allow to record however the storage is NOT on the Apple TV it's in the Cloud hosted by Hulu. Also, if you bought an Apple TV 3 that is a VERY outdated device and you may not be able to use it. Please refer to: Identify your Apple TV model to determine what you own. If you can use it, great if not then please consider an Apple refurbished Apple TV. They come up for sale often on Certified Refurbished Products - Apple

Apple refurbished products are identical to a new device, have the same 1 year warranty as a new device, are eligible for AppleCare and can save lots of $$$.

May 26, 2024 2:05 AM in response to Rudegar

Yes thank you, I have found that same answer on the Netflix support page. I should have searched there before posting, instead I only searched here.

In the meantime I found a used Box for 30$, it’s 3rd generation but probably with the least amount of memory. However I’m not planning on using it as a recorder, so hopefully I won’t run into storage issues.

Does Netflix work over the Apple TV box (from an iPhone)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.