How to rename a photo in Photos file on iPad?

How to rename a photo in photo file on iPad?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on May 26, 2024 3:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2024 8:37 AM

You can't change the name in Photos, but, when you save a picture to Files, you can change the name.

Select a picture, choose share, then Save to Files. You get a dialog with "Tags" at the bottom, meaning, apparently, file name. You can type what you wish in there, and that becomes the filename for the saved picture.

I hope that does what you need.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2024 8:37 AM in response to rngr900

You can't change the name in Photos, but, when you save a picture to Files, you can change the name.

Select a picture, choose share, then Save to Files. You get a dialog with "Tags" at the bottom, meaning, apparently, file name. You can type what you wish in there, and that becomes the filename for the saved picture.

I hope that does what you need.

May 26, 2024 4:14 AM in response to rngr900

The iOS/iPadOS Photos App and Photo Library do not support renaming of photos.

If you wish to rename your photos, you will need to manage your photo collection outside of the native Photo Library. To do so, you will either need to install and use a third-party File Manager - or photo management App.

There are many third-party File Manager Apps available from the Apple Apple Store - some being much better than others in offering extensive photo and media management capabilities. Of those available, perhaps consider Stratopherix FileBrowser - Document Manager, or its “pro version” FileBrowser Professional:

https://apps.apple.com/app/filebrowser-professional/id854618029

https://apps.apple.com/app/filebrowser-document-manager/id364738545

You might review the extensive online Manual and help files to determine suitability for your needs.

https://www.stratospherix.com/products/filebrowserprofessional/filebrowser-professional-user-guide.php

May 26, 2024 9:11 AM in response to rngr900

rngr900 wrote:

I belong to a photo club. For monthly competitions we label our photos to distinguish between competitors. Most of my editing is on iPad or iPhone. It is useful to be able to rename photos for that purpose.

As I have already outlined, you can't rename photos that are saved within your iPad (or iPhone) Photo Library.

If you wish to rename photos, they must be stored and managed outside of the native Photos App. When stored outside of the Photos App, the associated photo filenames can be managed as you wish using either the Files App - or a third-party File Manager App (as already recommended).

When photos or other media are stored outside of the native Photos App, you'll not be able to access them using the Photos App - and for this reason, a good third-party App is an excellent alternative.

Assuming that you would like to have photos available to both iPad and iPhone, storing your photos in a dedicated folder (or folders) in iCloud ensures that your photos remain accessible by all of your devices. When using iCloud folders instead of the native system Photo Library (although the Library can itself be synchronised with iCloud), iCloud provides much greater flexibility; you can use as many folders or sub-folders as you need while having full control over photo file-naming - this being something that is simply not possible when using the native Photos Library and Photos App

How to rename a photo in Photos file on iPad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.