Map disappears when engine drops below 1000 rpm. Eg at a traffic light.

Using an iPhone 14 with Apple CarPlay working perfectly for 3 years. For the last couple of days the map screen disappears when the engine drops below 1000 rpm. Eg at a stop light. It returns when I take off. The map s teen reverts to the media screen. Is this a car or phone issue? Could my car battery be going flat?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on May 26, 2024 5:24 AM

4 replies

May 27, 2024 8:44 AM in response to Fergyt17

Hmm, according to Apple, the Mercedes GLC-Class vehicles already support Apple CarPlay, so not sure why you had to have an Electrician to add it.

Ref: iOS - CarPlay - Available Models - Apple

Ah, "start/stop" technology ... don't get me started on that boondoggle! Unfortunately, it's nearly impossible to find any new cars without it. As such, I haven't seen anything from Apple on how well CarPlay reacts to when this "feature" is active. My guess is during engine cycling, there is power disruptions that makes CarPlay think it needs to return to its default display. Only a guess.

May 26, 2024 8:24 AM in response to Fergyt17

Since this has been "working perfectly for 3 years," it seems to indicate the issue may be with your car, and not this phone.

You don't mentioned what model car you have, but most cars today incorporate start-stop technology. It may be possible that your vehicle's battery is nearing depletion, and that would be a good place to have checked out.

What I'm not sure about is, if this is the case, would the lower amount of current cause CarPlay to switch modes.

May 26, 2024 7:42 PM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax.

Thanks for your reply. I tried switching off the stop/start function but I still lost the map screen. I've tried WAZE, Google maps and Apple maps. All the same result. The car is a Mercedes GLC 250. Apple Carplay was retrofitted. I took it to the auto electrician who installed it this morning and he tried rebooting Carplay. That didn't work.

Map disappears when engine drops below 1000 rpm. Eg at a traffic light.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.