Newsroom Update

Updates to the Home experience elevate entertainment and bring more convenience. Learn more >

4TH GEN Apple TV- How to reset without remote

It doesnt appear that i have the right remote for my apple TV. When i plug it in I get the computers and settings screen, but the remote does nothing. I've changed batteries and still nothing. Is there a way for me to reset it or program it?

Apple TV HD

Posted on May 26, 2024 1:25 PM

1 reply

May 27, 2024 3:19 AM in response to Juanapplejack

From your description, it seems that you may have an earlier generation. Only the Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation) could show just Computers and Settings, when without functional internet connection. The rest of the ‘apps’ get loaded from remote servers for these models.

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

Find your Apple TV model number - Apple Support

For the remote, you may need to re-link the remote to the box, else the box will acknowledge (flashing status light) the signal, but not do anything with it. If your Apple TV remote isn't working (2nd half of the page) - Apple Support - Internet Archive. Do both steps, the unlinking and then the linking — both using the buttons on the current remote.

4TH GEN Apple TV- How to reset without remote

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.