Why is my iPad charging over 80% even when I have set it to 80% limit?

I noticed today that my new iPad Air M2 is charging above 80% limit which I have set in the battery settings. Not sure if it is a bug or I am doing something wrong here.

iPad Air

Posted on May 27, 2024 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 27, 2024 2:38 AM

While you have enabled the 80% limit, this figure is appropriate - and can be expected to vary by a few percent as the iPad automatically regulates charging. The iPad will also occasionally charge the battery to 100% while the 80% limit is enabled.

To quote from Apple's support documentation:

How charging affects your battery

For most customers, the battery in your iPad should last the whole day. You can charge your iPad every night even if the battery isn't fully depleted.

iPad automatically stops charging when the battery is fully charged, so it's safe to keep your iPad connected to a charger overnight. Charging resumes automatically if your battery level drops below 95 percent.

When possible, unplug your iPad after it has fully charged. 

A battery warms up as it charges, which can reduce its lifespan. To reduce the effect of heat and prevent overheating, iPad gradually reduces the charging current as the battery approaches full charge.

Reducing the time that your iPad spends fully charged reduces the wear on your battery. With iPad Pro (M4) and iPad Air (M2), you can choose to limit charging at 80 percent, which can help prolong your battery's lifespan. When you choose 80% Limit, your iPad will charge up to about 80 percent and then stop charging. If the battery charge level gets down to 75 percent, charging will resume until your battery charge level reaches about 80 percent again. You can enable or disable this feature in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. 

With 80% Limit enabled, your iPad will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.

Charge and maintain your iPad battery - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 27, 2024 2:38 AM in response to deboprotim

While you have enabled the 80% limit, this figure is appropriate - and can be expected to vary by a few percent as the iPad automatically regulates charging. The iPad will also occasionally charge the battery to 100% while the 80% limit is enabled.

To quote from Apple's support documentation:

How charging affects your battery

For most customers, the battery in your iPad should last the whole day. You can charge your iPad every night even if the battery isn't fully depleted.

iPad automatically stops charging when the battery is fully charged, so it's safe to keep your iPad connected to a charger overnight. Charging resumes automatically if your battery level drops below 95 percent.

When possible, unplug your iPad after it has fully charged. 

A battery warms up as it charges, which can reduce its lifespan. To reduce the effect of heat and prevent overheating, iPad gradually reduces the charging current as the battery approaches full charge.

Reducing the time that your iPad spends fully charged reduces the wear on your battery. With iPad Pro (M4) and iPad Air (M2), you can choose to limit charging at 80 percent, which can help prolong your battery's lifespan. When you choose 80% Limit, your iPad will charge up to about 80 percent and then stop charging. If the battery charge level gets down to 75 percent, charging will resume until your battery charge level reaches about 80 percent again. You can enable or disable this feature in Settings > Battery > Battery Health. 

With 80% Limit enabled, your iPad will occasionally charge to 100 percent to maintain accurate battery state-of-charge estimates.

Charge and maintain your iPad battery - Apple Support

Why is my iPad charging over 80% even when I have set it to 80% limit?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.