Keyframes or is there a behavior?

Hi!

Please excuse my project here. To most of you it will seem quite remedial...to me? I'm very happy because I was able to achieve my purpose! I even published it to FCP and can use it there.

Here's my question. Btw -I've looked all over and come close, but I just can't figure out exactly what I should do here.

I want the frame/rectangle in my Project to flash on and off. I was trying all kinds of behaviors and even looked in the manual...but I still can't determine which one I should use. I thought maybe Rate applied to Opacity. Or maybe even Randomize. I did a Fade In/Out originally and that worked, but of course you know that only works for the beginning and end. Which I was quite happy with until I got the bright idea of wanting it to flash on and off.

I can always keyframe it...but that will be rather tedious and I thought the whole idea of Motion was to eliminate some of that tediousness. I just know there is a way but I'm still to new at this to see how to accomplish it. So, any suggestions? And thank you...I really didn't expect to be back here so dang soon! I hate to take advantage of your time.

Posted on May 29, 2024 7:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 29, 2024 8:55 PM

I would recommend the Oscillate behavior if you're going for a "regular" flashing.

The easiest thing to do is set the Shape Outline Brush Opacity to 0, then apply the Oscillate behavior.

Set the Wave Shape to Square.

Amplitude to 100%.

Speed to 60 (season to taste).

You can even set a Start Offsets and End Offsets to delay the start of flashing and/or turn off the effect at a specific time (# of frames from the end of the project).

An alternative would be to leave the Brush Opacity at 100% and set the Amplitude to -100%.

The Oscillate behavior will switch from +100 to -100 which is a bit of overkill. Luckily, the Opacity parameter will only go from 0% to 100% - going beyond this specific range is basically ignored (i.e., "clamped" to the min and max values).

If you want a flicker... instead of Oscillate, use Randomize applied to the Shape Outline Brush Opacity. Set the Amount to 1000% (or more). Set the Apply Mode to Add and Subtract. Play with Frequency and Noisiness as you like, but the defaults are fine. This behavior also has the Start Offset and End Offset options.

HTH

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 29, 2024 8:55 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

I would recommend the Oscillate behavior if you're going for a "regular" flashing.

The easiest thing to do is set the Shape Outline Brush Opacity to 0, then apply the Oscillate behavior.

Set the Wave Shape to Square.

Amplitude to 100%.

Speed to 60 (season to taste).

You can even set a Start Offsets and End Offsets to delay the start of flashing and/or turn off the effect at a specific time (# of frames from the end of the project).

An alternative would be to leave the Brush Opacity at 100% and set the Amplitude to -100%.

The Oscillate behavior will switch from +100 to -100 which is a bit of overkill. Luckily, the Opacity parameter will only go from 0% to 100% - going beyond this specific range is basically ignored (i.e., "clamped" to the min and max values).

If you want a flicker... instead of Oscillate, use Randomize applied to the Shape Outline Brush Opacity. Set the Amount to 1000% (or more). Set the Apply Mode to Add and Subtract. Play with Frequency and Noisiness as you like, but the defaults are fine. This behavior also has the Start Offset and End Offset options.

HTH

Keyframes or is there a behavior?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.