FInal Cut Pro. Opening with Transition other than fade

I'm not new to Final Cut Pro per se, but I am having to get to know 10.6 as if I am.

Something I love to do is start my sequences with something other than a standard fade in. Right now, I'm working on one that starts with a still image that I have key framed to slowly grow and slightly move until it dissolved to the next image. I want to begin it with a ripple fade in. This was easy for me in the past on older versions (I'd just put a black slug in and added the transition as if it were any other clip). However I'm struggling to do the same thing now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 2:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 24, 2023 4:37 PM

You can kind of help the effect to happen - say you want a 2 second ripple fade in at the start of the timeline:

1) Blade a cut a second into the first clip on the timeline

2) Place a Ripple Transition on the bladed cut you just made. Adjust the length of the transition to a little under 2 seconds

3) Place the Custom generator set to black above the first clip on the timeline. Shorten the generator clip until it ends about the middle of the Ripple transition below it

4) Apply a cross dissolve to the end of ther generator clip and adjust to taste

It somewhat fakes it:

MtD

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 24, 2023 4:37 PM in response to browncoat1701

You can kind of help the effect to happen - say you want a 2 second ripple fade in at the start of the timeline:

1) Blade a cut a second into the first clip on the timeline

2) Place a Ripple Transition on the bladed cut you just made. Adjust the length of the transition to a little under 2 seconds

3) Place the Custom generator set to black above the first clip on the timeline. Shorten the generator clip until it ends about the middle of the Ripple transition below it

4) Apply a cross dissolve to the end of ther generator clip and adjust to taste

It somewhat fakes it:

MtD

FInal Cut Pro. Opening with Transition other than fade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.