Mac clock date and time incoprrect

x 2 points here. 1.My mac clock date and time are wrong everytime I switch on my Mac studio. it goes to 01.00 1st April 1976

2.Why are we having to ask questions on this forum when we have paid thousands for our expensive Apple machines? Why hasn't this been sorted by Apple?? Sort it out Apple, this is clearly not good enough!

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 8:09 AM

1: your br2032 battery is probably bad, though there can be other causes.

Details: Mac Studio (2022) Battery - Apple Support.

Whether you swap that battery, or schedule and have Apple fix it? If it’s under warranty or AppleCare+, or if you are at all unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with working with static-sensitive electronics, I’d have Apple diagnose and fix it.

2: You chose to post here in the user-to-user forum, not us.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2024 8:09 AM in response to Timj6609

1: your br2032 battery is probably bad, though there can be other causes.

Details: Mac Studio (2022) Battery - Apple Support.

Whether you swap that battery, or schedule and have Apple fix it? If it’s under warranty or AppleCare+, or if you are at all unfamiliar with or uncomfortable with working with static-sensitive electronics, I’d have Apple diagnose and fix it.

2: You chose to post here in the user-to-user forum, not us.

Jun 4, 2024 7:56 AM in response to Timj6609

In a Mac system that is operating normally, the internal clock chip advances the system time when the system is awake, and in most cases when it is sleeping with power adapter or battery still available.

When the system is powered completely off, and no backup battery is available, the time can not be maintained.

Moments after startup an automatic time update request is sent to the Time Server you specified in

Settings/System Preferences > Date&Time

... and the time is adjusted by the small amount needed to be perfectly up to the present moment.

When your Time is different from Internet Time by more than five minutes, you can not make any secure httpS: internet connections.

Jun 4, 2024 8:20 AM in response to Timj6609

so sorry, Mr.Hoffman is correct as usual.

My answers assumed we were discussing a MacBook Pro, which uses the main SYSTEM battery as its backup battery.

As MrHoffman points out, Desktop Macs use a non-recharging coin cell long life Lithium battery to maintain System Parameters and System Time. This helps make startup painless, because your Mac remembers the things like, where is the boot drive? what time is it? to get your Mac running quickly and easily.

Older Mac Pro models used a BR2032. Some newer models may have switched to a slightly different backup battery.

Jun 4, 2024 7:54 AM in response to Timj6609

the symptom of returning to ONE very old date&time correlates very strongly with battery has been run completely to Zero. if that is the case, you need to understand that running your battery that low substantially reduces its longevity.

If you did NOT run your battery low to get this symptom, you may have a hardware issue, and should contact Apple support promptly.

If you purchased DIRECT from Apple, and not through a Reseller of any description, you have a strict 14 days from receipt for a full-value return/exchange.

Mac clock date and time incoprrect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.