How many hours does a battery charge last in the Apple Pencil Pro?

Hello, I have had the iPad Pro M4 and an Apple Pencil Pro for 3 weeks. The new Pencil has got a few more functions. But what about the battery life? I noticed this afternoon that 20% (20%-0%) was used up in about 30 minutes. Is this normal or is my pencil defective? According to Apple, the 1&2 generation lasted about 12 hours. Never tested this but what are your experiences with the Pro?

Thank you very much.

iPad Pro (M4, 2024)

Posted on Jun 5, 2024 9:06 AM

3 replies

Jun 5, 2024 9:16 AM in response to JörgX

Your Apple Pencil's battery should last for many hours of active use. Given that (a) the Pencil will rapidly recharge when docked with the host iPad - and (b) it is generally recommended that the Pencil is docked with the iPad whenever it is not being actively used - battery longevity between charging events is generally not an issue.

Keeping the Pencil docked with the iPad when unused ensures that the tiny internal battery is kept optimally charged when not in use. Charging only occur when the battery requires charge from the iPad, optimal charge being entirely automatic.

Keeping the Pencil separated from the iPad when unused risks allowing its battery to discharge; if allowed to remain in this state, the battery will suffer irreparable damage. When the battery fails, the only remedy is to replace the entire Pencil; the battery is not a serviceable item.

An otherwise healthy Apple Pencil will suffer no negative consequences from being docked with its host iPad for extended periods.

Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support

Jun 6, 2024 2:23 PM in response to JörgX

I just spent three days at a conference. I took notes for about four hours a day, though not continuously. I regularly used the squeeze gesture to switch betweek the pen and the eraser. When I wasn't using the Pencil, I stuck it to the iPad, mostly because then I always know where it is. I can't say I ever thought about the Pencil's battery.

I had the previous version of the iPad Pro and the previous Pencil. These new versions are orders of magnitude better.

How many hours does a battery charge last in the Apple Pencil Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.