Can I enable Advanced Data Protection without removing my stolen iPhone from my iCloud account?

I had an iPhone 13 Pro stolen from me, and the thief made me factory reset it. However, it's still linked to my iCloud account/Find My. It was running iOS 15.

I now want to enable Advanced Data Protection on my iCloud account, however I'm unable to do so because my stolen iPhone is marked as an "old" device that doesn't support ADP, so I must remove it from my account in order to enable ADP.

However, if I remove it, the thief will be able to reset my iPhone and use it/sell it (right?).

My current device is an iPhone 13 Pro running iOS 17.5.1, and all my devices are up to date.

What can I do?

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Jun 5, 2024 1:04 PM

2 replies

Jun 5, 2024 4:33 PM in response to PancakesDuck

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your iPhone. First, ensure you have marked the iPhone as Lost in Find My. You can follow the instructions in the following support article to do so: If your iPhone or iPad is lost or stolen - Apple Support

Then, ensure your wireless carrier has been informed that your iPhone was stolen and no longer in use by you. They may ask for the device's serial number.

After you've completed the steps above, you can remove the stolen iPhone from your trusted devices without removing Activation Lock:

1. Sign in to appleid.apple.com, then choose Devices from the sidebar.
  2. Select your device, scroll down, and select Remove from account.

You can then enable Advanced Data Protection.

I hope this helps!

Can I enable Advanced Data Protection without removing my stolen iPhone from my iCloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.