App store missing from child's phone even though it's "allowed"

The app store will only show up on my son's phone if I disable all content restrictions, even if I select "allow" for installing apps. I have even added the app store as one of the apps he can access at all times, even in downtime, and yet it still won't show up.

settings>screen time>content and privacy restrictions> itunes and app store purchases> all allowed

I have restarted his phone and mine. Checked for software updates.

The ONLY time it will show on his phone is if all content and privacy restrictions are completely toggled off.

I can't even swipe down and search for it. It doesn't come up.

How can I fix this? This is very frustrating.

iPhone 14

Posted on Jun 6, 2024 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 4:05 PM

I solved this by removing my child from screen time. On the parents' phone, go into "Screen Time" > "Stop Managing child's Screen Time". The app store immediately reappeared and then I re-added their ipad to screen time.

23 replies

Jun 12, 2024 6:01 PM in response to Hterrell

Yes I am also seeing this. I changed the purchases setting for iTunes/app store to not allowed (thinking the apps would still be visible but I would have to use screen time passcode to authorize purchases). Both apps vanished from my kid’s device completely. I was looking at my kid’s device while changing the setting for purchases back to allowed, and I saw the App Store icon pop up on the Home Screen and then vanish. Now I cannot find it again even after powering the device off and on again. But the ITunes Store is back 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

Jun 21, 2024 10:42 AM in response to carolynnt

Thank you. Yes I did all of this. My daughter is getting older and I want her to be able to download apps (per the rating I have identified as approved) on her own. Previously she was able to send me the approve request, which worked fine. When she became a teenager I tried to make it so she could [slowly] gain this freedom and download apps without my approval. It worked at first (for a day), then the App store disappeared. I have been using screentime for years and love it, and am pretty familiar with it, but the option for the child to download without gaining approval seems to be none-existent. The only solution I have not tried is to create a new appleID, which i really prefer to avoid. I am scheduled with an Apple tech today and am hoping they can help. But it does seem to be a big glitch that they need to address. Just like driving, or any other privilege, I feel kids need graduated access into that type of responsibility. Going from screen time to absolutely no screen time so that a kid can download apps seems counterintuitive and very dangerous. I would think Apple would want to resolve this as they are very good with security and protecting minors. If I learn a solution today from the tech I will post it here.

Jun 20, 2024 2:47 PM in response to VanaMagenta

Hi everyone - I am having this issue and am very frustrated. I just spent a LOT of money upgrading our apple products for the new school year. I am giving my middle school child more freedom but she still has screen time. The app store is doing exactly what everyone below described several weeks ago. One of the reasons i got her a new phone was due to the fact i thought the old one was malfunctioning. Apple this is an obvious problem. Can you please fix this bug? I have given her permission to install apps and yet still the App store is totally gone. I have rest everything. I have turned off screen time and reset it all (there went a large chunk of time). Nothing is working. Please help.

Jun 21, 2024 5:23 AM in response to anbsgggi-60

Here’s what I did:

Under purchases in “Content and Privacy Restrictions” menu turned app installs back on

Turned off “Content and Privacy Restrictions” entirely to get the App Store to show up again

Turned “Content and Privacy Restrictions” back on

In the main menu for my kid’s Apple ID (the first screen you see when you tap their name under family sharing), turn on “Ask to Buy.”

The App Store will still be visible and browsable on your kid’s device, but where your version has a download/buy option, theirs will have a request function. When they use that, you will get a notification that they’re requesting to download app XYZ, and can approve or deny the request.

If you wanted to be able to block the App Store completely and unblock at will, it seems you’re out of luck. The glitch does recur if you ever turn off purchases again. But this at least keeps your kid from downloading stuff willy-nilly, and you can still set a time limit for the App Store under screen time, so there’s that.

Jun 28, 2024 4:53 AM in response to VanaMagenta

It seems there are more options under content and privacy restrictions if you go there directly on the kids phone rather than throuhg the family menu. You can now change restrictions on installing apps from other app stores. This might be related to EU users only.

By going in restrictions directly on my kids phone there is now an option to enable “App store” and separate option to enable “Installing apps”. Enabled those two and app store appeared.

App store missing from child's phone even though it's "allowed"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.