Mac Studio and LG Ultrafine display keeps going to black

I've just bought a Mac Studio and have it connected to my old LG Ultrafine display. After about a minute on the screensaver, the screen goes black. I've changed all the Lock Screen and Energy Saver settings - as instructed by Apple - but it keeps happening. It's really annoying because I want to leave the dynamic screensaver on while I'm working on my other Macbook and monitor, but it keeps going to black. Can anybody help?

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jun 7, 2024 1:53 AM

11 replies

Jun 8, 2024 6:33 AM in response to RaxonSemy

Yes, I have anti-virus and Clean My Mac running. Why?

They usually start out fine but eventualyb start breaking the OS.

Cmm has had a bad reputation for years, I don't know if it still deserves it or not...

Uninstall CleanMyMac per their directions , then run etrecheck again to see what chaff it left...

On CMM…

iMac scrolling impossible with Monterey - Apple Community

mystery startup items - Apple Community

iMac running slow, several apps unrespons… - Apple Community

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251442443?answerId=252814053022#252814053022

Boot iMac from external SSD, what happens… - Apple Community

Unable to make any changes to contacts on… - Apple Community

macOS Catalina iMac (Retina 5k) 3.4 Ghz q… - Apple Community

Jun 8, 2024 6:56 AM in response to RaxonSemy

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, Bit Torrent, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything, or looking for files that have changed. When completed, they do it all again.

The idea that a third party, with no special knowledge of the inner workings of MacOS, can somehow find a simple way to protect or speed up your computer — that is not already being done by MacOS itself — suggests that the MacOS developers are somehow "holding out on you". That is absurd.

You should remove any and all (other than Apple built-in) virus scanners, speeder uppers, optimizers, cleaners, App deleters or VPN packages you installed yourself, or anything of that ilk.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Jun 9, 2024 7:55 AM in response to RaxonSemy

that appears to be a 3840 by 2160 display with Thunderbolt input (only)

CONNECTIVITY

• ThunderboltYES (in 1ea/out 1ea)Thunderbolt(USB-C Compatiblity)YES
  • Thunderbolt (Max. Resolution at Hz)3840 x 2160 @ 60HzThunderbolt (Data Transsmission)YES
  • Thunderbolt (Power Delivery)85WDaisy ChainYES (UHD/60Hz/via Thunderbolt)
  • USB Upstream PortYES (via Thunderbolt)USB Downstream PortYES (USB-C/3ea/ver3.1 Gen 1)

NB>>

To run it within spec, your Thunderbolt cable should have the thunderbolt symbol on the ends, and should be no longer than 0.8 meters for an Apple cable, or 0.5 meters for any other brand cable.

'Shipped in the box' cables have a reputation for having the correct cable-ends to plug in, but otherwise be "lowest bidder" cables that do not work at top settings.

Jun 8, 2024 7:33 AM in response to RaxonSemy

Once you blow off the AV-ware and CleanMyMac junk-ware.

Tell us what model the LG Ultrafine display is and how is it connected to the Mac Studio.....?

In many cases, the inferior factory supplied display cable needs to be replaced with a premium high speed cable.

In other cases, the connection type may need to be changed to a more stable connection type for that setup.

Mac Studio and LG Ultrafine display keeps going to black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.