External DVD playing disks in green only

Hello. I'm running Monterey 12.7.5 on an iMac Retina (2015) with 8 GB of memory, using an Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 1536 MB card. Just recently my external DVD player has decided to play videos in green. YouTube videos play normally. My DVD player was a generic model so I retrieved my husbands Apple USB SuperDrive and tried that and it, too, played all in green.

I researched and found a handful of people with the same problem, but there never seemed to be an answer posted for the problem. One said to restart with the Apple SuperDrive plugged in. So I tried that and it made the problem worse. The disk started spinning, like it was attempting to be read, but nothing appeared on the screen. After which I was unable to eject the disk from the drive.

I took the drive to my husbands laptop and plugged it in to see if I could eject the disk and now it doesn't even work for him! Do I have a virus?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 5:52 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2024 7:08 AM

That would take more testing on your part. Since things work as expected with the built-in DVD Player in a new account, then we know for certain something installed in your normal user account is causing the issue.

Please post the EtreCheck report I requested earlier. That will show us all loaded/running processes. From there, we may be able to determine what's interfering with the DVD Player.

37 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2024 7:08 AM in response to Picaso21

That would take more testing on your part. Since things work as expected with the built-in DVD Player in a new account, then we know for certain something installed in your normal user account is causing the issue.

Please post the EtreCheck report I requested earlier. That will show us all loaded/running processes. From there, we may be able to determine what's interfering with the DVD Player.

Jun 16, 2024 2:27 PM in response to Picaso21

Great to hear so far my friend!:)

Might take awhile to narrow it down further, just guessing here...

Quit DVD Player & try VLC Player...

https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-macosx.html

If you wish to try DVD Player fix, quit Sys Prefs, delete these files...

~Library/Preferences/com.apple.iDVD.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Or…

Use the Command-Shift-period

Get Onyx & deep clean all the caches & restart...

https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Jun 15, 2024 2:15 PM in response to Picaso21

I think BDAqua wants to find out if something in your normal user account is causing the problem. A new account will have all default settings, which would rule out third party software that may be causing the problem. Though even a new account can be affected by launch daemons that are in the root Library folder.

It may be hard to track down, as the port you're plugging the drives into may be bad. The video hardware may have a fault. The video drivers may be damaged, which only a reinstall of the OS may fix.

Jun 16, 2024 11:58 AM in response to BDAqua

OMG, BDAqua, (and Happy Father's Day if, by chance, you are a father :) It took awhile for me to sign-in as a Guest-User with forgotten iCloud password needing to be re-set, multiple computer re-starts, etc. but I finally did it and lo-and-behold you were correct my friend! The external DVD plays fine under Guest-User. So what does that mean for [my] corrupt files? Please don't tell me I will have to log into the other account every time I want to use my external DVD player (to do yoga!)

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Jun 16, 2024 3:58 PM in response to BDAqua

Oh my. Thank you BDA. I am going to have to process this slowly as I am NOT a computer genius (obviously. 😜 or I wouldn't be here.)

Before I begin. I am ASSUMING I should try these suggestions in order?

I do know a "little" about clearing my Library Cache, though I did not know that, "Apple hid the Users' Library folders..." good to know! (for ALL of us) So, perhaps I can start there (before downloading something new?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry BDA, I'm going to have to get back to this in the morning when my brain is fresh. I don't know what time you clock in, but no rush. I will try all your suggestions.

And thank you again. Robin

Jun 17, 2024 10:31 AM in response to BDAqua

I have successfully downloaded the VLC program, and figured out how to use it! 😂 And it's working!!!

So, I guess the bottom-line now is that I will have to use the VLC player to play external DVD's until my computer taps out and I have to eventually replace it? Or B, I have to create a new user account and transfer everything over to that?

Jun 19, 2024 10:59 AM in response to Picaso21

That was just to get rid of a kernel extension Seagate should never have had the user install in the first place. All it accomplishes is adding more complexity to file management. That is, it tries to do what the OS is already designed to do on its own. Copy, move, delete.

But, there was a very outside chance it could be causing the green issue. Poorly written kernel extensions can cause a lot of weird, and seemingly unrelated things to happen.

Jun 18, 2024 9:21 AM in response to Picaso21

I don’t see anything that would trigger green video.

I’d first try playing video in a second and newly-created login, to see if there’s some weird setting here.

I’d then reinstall, on the off chance that there’s a storage corruption lurking somewhere here.

I’d leave off MalwareBytes, the Seagate add-on, and everything else you don’t absolutely need, as this 8 GB / HDD iMac doesn’t have nearly the necessary resources and capacity for all of what is loaded here.

There are two ways to do that reinstall. One is to reinstall macOS atop macOS, which should not disturb what is installed. Have backups anyway. The second is to back up, wipe and reset and install the newest supported macOS for this iMac, and use Setup Assistant or Migration Assistant to restore your files from your backup.

It’s also quite possible that the graphics hardware in this iMac is simply failing.

Apple Diagnostics won’t spot transient errors and won’t spot all hardware errors, but I’d still run those anyway.

Jun 17, 2024 8:39 AM in response to BDAqua

Progress Report:

I'm having trouble downloading the VLC player program. I started it this morning. It said it needed 1 hr 45 minutes to download, so I left it to do its thing. When I returned 2 hrs later it said it had 3 DAYS left! So I stopped and started it again. It now says I have 1 hr 39 minutes remaining.

So moving on, I downloaded the Onyx program and ran it, but the DVD player still played in green. :(

And lastly, I could only find a ~Library/Preferences/com.apple.DVDPlayer.plist, but there was no ~Library...."iDVD.plist" See image attached. I didn't delete the DVDPlayer.plist should I have?

Jun 17, 2024 9:26 AM in response to Picaso21

No, that's already been ruled out by your own testing.

The external DVD plays fine under Guest-User.

Which means something in your main account is causing the problem. This could be any number of third party add-ons.

Download and run EtreCheck. You do not need the paid version. It's an app written by fellow forum member, etresoft, and is intended, more than anything else, to provide information about your system so other users don't have to play 20 Questions to get this same information. All personal information is automatically redacted.

When the app is done running, click the Share Report button at the top, and then Copy report so it gets sent to the clipboard. Next, start a new reply here, click on the Additional text icon and paste it there. The reports are almost always too long to paste into the main reply window.

Jun 19, 2024 7:38 AM in response to BDAqua

Kurt, I deleted the Seagate Storage Driver.kext , though I'm not sure what it actually accomplished. :)

BDA, I deleted /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.installer.cleanupinstaller.plist, but ~/Library/LaunchAgents/com.adobe.ARM.***.plist was not an option.

See list:

I restarted and tried by DVD player, but I'm thinking these last steps had nothing to do with the DVD playing green issue? I'm a little lost at this point.

Jun 11, 2024 9:11 AM in response to Picaso21

I doubt a virus.

To force eject a CD/DVD hold mouse bbutton down at booting up... might only work with wired USB Mouse.

On your Mac, To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

External DVD playing disks in green only

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.