install windows using boot camp assitiant

I figure at this point I may have to dl a windows install ISO to use but I am hoping what i have will work.

In the image below you can see 4 items.

ONE: ESD-USB is a mounted thumb drive with Windows install on it. My PC tech friend (who knows nothing abut Macs) made it for me. Here is what I have done so far....

TWO: I could not run boot camp assistant with mounted drives

so I tried creating ESD-USB.DMG then using Disk Utility to Covert to ISO (by selecting Encryption: none and DVD/CD Master in Disk Utility....and then changing extension to .ISO

So last night I tried to use the ISO and in bootcamp assistant I got the error "The Windows ISO file is too large - Boot Camp Assistant creates a 10 GB installer partition which will contain the files present on the Windows 10 ISO as well as the Boot Camp Support software. The supplied ISO is too large to fit on this installer partition."

Tried again this morning and instead of that error I got:

any advice? I know what is on the USB Drive is Windows installer but don't know how to move forward in bootcamp.

iMac 27″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 8:08 AM

1 reply

Jun 15, 2024 7:13 PM in response to bobmane2

You can download a Windows 10 .iso file directly from Microsoft. I believe BootCamp Assistant needs a Windows 10 .iso. I'm not sure Win11 can be used from what I've read on this forum. I believe you can upgrade an existing Win10 installation to Win11.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/

Here is an Apple article for BootCamp:

Install Windows 10 on your Mac with Boot Camp Assistant - Apple Support

Install Windows on your newer Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support

install windows using boot camp assitiant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.