Download EtreCheckPro from https://etrecheck.com

Runtime: 6:13

Performance: Below Average

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description:

CPYU runs sluggish just to slow.

Major Issues: None

Minor Issues:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement.

End of report

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 4:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2024 5:37 PM

This is an 8 GB hard disk iMac.

Those are slow. Here is why: Why is my hard disk drive iMac so slow? - Apple Community

Options: Your memory is upgradable, and you can use an external SSD drive pending iMac replacement.

Remove the add-on anti-malware, at least pending any hardware upgrades, as part of reducing the load.

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2024 5:37 PM in response to gomezcorp

This is an 8 GB hard disk iMac.

Those are slow. Here is why: Why is my hard disk drive iMac so slow? - Apple Community

Options: Your memory is upgradable, and you can use an external SSD drive pending iMac replacement.

Remove the add-on anti-malware, at least pending any hardware upgrades, as part of reducing the load.

Jun 12, 2024 8:04 AM in response to gomezcorp

For starters, I suggest getting rid of Chrome. It's a known resource hog. Use Safari or Firefox instead.

Also remove iGolf/iGolfsync as they appear to crash very frequently.

It would also help to increase RAM to 16GB; you have the slots available to do that.

I also suggest running Etrecheck again, this time after giving it Full Disk Access in System Preferences > Security & Privacy. It may yield further information that way.

Jun 13, 2024 9:25 AM in response to gomezcorp

Should that HDD be failing, the expedient fix is an external SSD.

But the sooner that HDD gets swapped for an SSD, and preferably scrounging another 8 GB, the faster your faster will faster.

The external SSD can be re-used on an eventual replacement Mac, as well. Memory reused, not so much. But adding 8 or 16 GB of OWC memory is not expensive, particularly when compared with a replacement Mac.

Jun 12, 2024 11:43 AM in response to MartinR

EtreCheckPro version: 6.8.5 (68049)

Report generated: 2024-06-12 11:35:31

Download EtreCheckPro from 

Runtime: 5:26

Performance: Below Average

Problem: Computer is too slow

Description: 

Very slow on startup and clicking to programs waiting for them to open

, very sluggish, even slow to open System Preferences!

I removed Chrome and using Safari now and removed iGolf. What else can I do to improve performance? Thanks

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 13, 2024 8:54 AM in response to gomezcorp

Run DriveDx (free trial period) to check the health of the hard drive. Post the complete DriveDx text report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper on the forum editing toolbar. While the overall HD performance was good in the EtreCheck report, there is a possibility some sectors could be starting to fail and were not being accessed during the EtreCheck performance check.

You should also run Disk Utility First Aid on the hidden Container. Within Disk Utility you may need to click "View" and select "Show All Devices" before the hidden Container appears on the left pane of Disk Utility. Even if

First Aid says everything is "Ok", click "Show Details" and scroll back through the report to see if any unfixed errors are listed. If there are errors, then run First Aid again until they are gone. If they cannot be repaired, then you may need to run First Aid while booted into Recovery Mode.

Disconnect all external devices from the computer (except keyboard & mouse of course) in case one of them is causing a problem.

Try booting into Safe Mode to see if that makes any difference.

You may also want to run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

Jun 13, 2024 3:55 PM in response to gomezcorp

gomezcorp wrote:

Removed Defender, slowness has been going on for quite sometime now! What is really noticeable is when opening MS Word, Excel & PPT! Takes forever and several clicks? Thinking of deleting MS software and reloading it since I use it heavily more than MAC Pages & Numbers!! What do you think? thanks

I think that iMac woefully under-configured for your needs.

Pretty much any HDD configuration is, these days.

Not past HDD use near-line and backup storage.

And I’d go for more than 8 GB on Apple silicon, too.

Again, here is why that HDD iMac is so slow.

Jun 12, 2024 2:10 PM in response to gomezcorp

You are not going to make an 8 GB HDD i5-class iMac faster.

Best case is slightly less slow.

Not without added memory and a move to an SSD.

Removing MalwareBytes and any VPN might help with less-slow, there.

Your Time Machine storage appears ro be offline, too.

When sold, this iMac model was good for email and looking at photos.

Please read the previously-linked article for why this iMac is slow.

That 7.2K RPM HDD is giving all it can, too: writes at 113 MBs and reads at 121 MBs.

Jun 12, 2024 4:11 PM in response to gomezcorp

I noticed that you installed Microsoft Defender or at least a stub of it. This is not necessary and may be contributing to the slowness you are experiencing.

Software Installs (past 60 days):

Install Date Name (Version)

2024-05-19 Microsoft_Defender_101.24030.0019_Individuals_Shim_Installer (101.24030.0019)

Also, is the slowness something new or recent or has it been going on for awhile, or generally getting worse over some period of months?

Jun 13, 2024 2:15 PM in response to gomezcorp

gomezcorp wrote:

Ordered 4 sticks of 8GB of RAM! Let's see if that helps some, it should!! Thanks

And ordered the SSD, presumably.

Intel advertising sold a lot of folks on buying overpowered processors in under-configured computers, where the expensive and fast processor is waiting for memory or HDD or some other resource. Which meant the expensive processor was often wasted. Why? Computers are systems, and the performance limit is that of the slowest component.

When addressing performance, this means going after the slowest parts, which here is the HDD, and then the lack of memory.

Can someone diagnos my EtreChewck report

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.