Canvas Disappeared...need help!

Good afternoon!

After doing much trouble shooting with Fox_m last night it was decided that I should ask for help in deleting and reinstalling Motion. Upon advisement, I have started a new thread with Fox_m's feeling that either Tom Wolsky or Luis Sequeira might be better help at this point.

(original thread-although not sure where in the thread this will take you...it was originally titled Apple Motion Objects suddenly disappear https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/eb851110-bc73-422c-980b-8d344967d1a3)

I will include screenshots of what has happened. A side note: everything was working perfectly in the morning. I came back in the evening to start working and without doing anything besides opening the Project this problem started. It is the same with any Motion project I have tried to open, including tutorial files that have been working perfectly up to this point. I have restarted my computer multiple times and I have reset/trashed the Preferences.

To keep things simple, you can see I wrote a single line of text. It shows in the Inspector Window, in the Layers Panel and in the Timeline. I have a bounding box but no text shows.

In the second screenshot I thought I would try to draw just a simple rectangle. I deleted the rectangle but as you can see it is still there. I was able to finally make it disappear - but I honestly don't know what I did to accomplish that as I was randomly clicking all over the place. (Sorry)

The third screenshot just shows the Windows menu because I misunderstood what Fox_m wanted to see. I have included it in case it is helpful.

The fourth screenshot is what Fox_m was asking me for. After this Fox_m said something was definitely wrong and suggested it might be time to re-install Motion and felt more comfortable having someone else take over at this point.

On a side note because I'm not sure if it will be important or not...

I am still running Monterey 12.6 based on so many issues with past system updates. I am quite happy with it and am kind of scared/leery to update because of the things I am working on in FCP. I've been worried it will mess that up. (Even so, just so you know, my libraries are all stored on SSDs) But if you all seriously feel it is necessary before we continue I guess I will have to bite the bullet and seriously hope for the best-but I'd rather not.

Ok, I think I've covered everything. Thank you so much in advance (and to Fox_m again if you're reading!) and I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Posted on Jun 15, 2024 2:20 PM

6 replies

Jun 16, 2024 11:56 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hi Luis!

Thank you so much for responding. I realize my post was a little (maybe too) detailed...but I did express that I had already restarted my computer and deleted/trashed the Preferences. It was something Fox_m had suggested too. At that time I tried a new Project and that is the screenshots you see above.

I did not know how to run an Etrecheck report - but I researched it (so I wouldn't have to make you write it all for me). I found it, downloaded it and ran the report. I hope this is what you are looking for...I think it is.

Sorry about not including the version of Motion I'm using! That was kind of dumb huh? :) I am on Version 5.6.4. And yes I understand if I reinstall Motion I will get a different version. But I believe that would probably be ok though, right? I don't believe I have any Projects in Motion that would be affected. I'm still too much into learning and doing tutorials. I have only done one Project and that is already in FCP and being used.

Here is something interesting: Last night I decided to "bite the bullet" and upgrade to Sonoma. Thinking you all might request that I do that AND wondering if that is why FCP runs with the beachball constantly (I have figured out some workarounds there-but still a huge discouragement to work with) and Motion went kind of crazy.

It went through all the steps, it even restarted my computer (I want to say a couple of times). But it did not upgrade. I have included screenshots of my download manager (to show it isn't hung up there) and my About the Apple screen. I'm still on Monterey. Which btw I am ok with. I just thought it was kind of odd and I should let you know.

Jun 16, 2024 12:07 AM in response to Creator_needs_help

Just like with FCP, if Motion is not behaving correctly, you can and probably should delete its preferences.

To delete preferences, hold down command and option keys while starting the application and click Delete Settings.

Create a new Motion project. Does it work?

If the problem persists, we need to know more about your system. I believe you said you are running Monterey, but no mention of which Motion version.

This is relevant because if you are to delete Motion, you may or may not get the same version.

And of course many issues are due to conflicts with other stuff, of which we cannot know unless you tell us. So: Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

Jun 16, 2024 12:37 PM in response to Creator_needs_help

Major Issues:
  Anything that appears on this list needs immediate attention. 
  Security updates disabled - Security updates are disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.
  Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

It is always a bad idea to disable system security. Why did you?

You have this third party app called "Fenêtre" which modifies how the system handles windows... I would not be surprised if this were playing a part in the problem.

You could try uninstalling it, restarting and seeing if something changes. If it makes no difference, you can install it again.

Jun 16, 2024 12:47 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Well, I did post that twice, didn't I? But the version I'm running of Motion I did write...it is 5.6.4

"Sorry about not including the version of Motion I'm using! That was kind of dumb huh? :) I am on Version 5.6.4."

I have no problem deleting Fenêtre - it is a helpful app, but not necessary. I will do that right away.

As far as disabling system security? I never intended to do that. That is really kind of the whole wonderful idea behind Mac products, the security - so this is a complete surprise. And honestly? I really wouldn't even know how to do that. The only thing I have ever done that I might think is remotely connected (I know it's not) is check the box so I don't get automatic updates. If you want or can tell me how to get that turned back on I will go in and do it right away!

Jun 16, 2024 1:01 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Luis!!

I deleted it, opened a new project and viola! The text I write is there! I also opened up the tutorial files that weren't showing up on the Canvas and they work perfectly too. I'm so relieved right now. Thank you, thank you and thank you again!!

But why though? I've had that app on my computer for literally YEARS. Was it really the app? Or could it have something to do with the system update I tried to do last night? Like it ended up "resetting" (for lack of a better word) the system or something. Still doesn't solve that issue exactly - but I can work in Motion again and if I can get the security enabled again I feel like I'll be in good shape.

Canvas Disappeared...need help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.