How to fix water damage on MacBook Keyboard?

I was wiping the MacBook screen with a damp cloth and then a small drop of water got between two keys. Should I go to service or should I not worry?

MacBook Air m1

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air (M1, 2020)

Posted on Jun 16, 2024 8:00 AM

2 replies

Jun 16, 2024 9:21 AM in response to Jotiurw

If it is just a drop of water and the laptop is still working, then it is probably Ok. Besides any damage is already done although it can take days or even weeks for enough corrosion to form before you may see a failure.

FYI, you should only use a very lightly dampened cloth where no water can drip from it or the surface of the device. I personally prefer to place the laptop with the back of the open display flat on a smooth table top with the Keyboard/Palmrest vertical in the air. This allows me to hold onto the upright keyboard/palmrest to easily clean the display without the display bouncing, moving, or twisting & risking possible damage. You still need to be careful not to get any liquid near the edge of the glass since it can make its way inside the glass to cause damage.

How to fix water damage on MacBook Keyboard?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.