Safari opens with 30 tabs automatically

On Mac MinI running Sonoma 14.4.1 when I start Safari it automatically opens with about 30 unwanted tabs showing websites from my browsing history. I am able to close the excess tabs by Control clicking the one I want to keep and choosing to close all the other tabs.

WE have several user account on this machine. This behavior does not show up in Safari in my husband's user account.

Hard reboot did not help. Ran MalwareBytes and it found nothing.

Something's cooking. How do I fix it?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 5:51 AM

11 replies

Jun 17, 2024 7:54 AM in response to mbb04915

1. Check your Safari Preferences > General. Make sure that "Safari Opens With" says "A new window." (Not "All windows from last session" or "All private windows from last session.")
  2. In System Preferences (aka System Settings) > General make sure that "Close windows when quitting an app" is checked.

Further info here ->

You could, of course, also erase all history before you close Safari each time (Safari > Clear History > Clear All History).

Jun 18, 2024 2:04 PM in response to mbb04915

Have you tried removing all History? There are two ways to do it:

• Safari > Clear History > Clear All History > Clear History button
  • On Safari menu strip - History > Clear History > Clear All History > Clear History button

Also, check Safari > Preferences > Advanced ... UNcheck Reading List - Save articles for offline reading automatically

Jun 17, 2024 6:30 AM in response to mbb04915

is it possible that you have some "pinned tabs" in safari? if you drag the URL bar of an opened site to the left, it will "collapse" and create a "pinned tab". check your safari toolbar and see if there are web pages that only show the site's favicons.

if that is the issue, that is why those 30 pages open upon launching safari. you can drag the "pinned sites" to the right of the URL bar until they expand. then you close those sites as you normally would.

EDITED

Jun 18, 2024 11:52 AM in response to CT

Thank you for suggestion. pressing the shift key while,launching safari did not work. Still have a large number of tabs. So many that I dont even know how many there are. Earlier, I tried to use menu/view/show tab overview and that really hung things up. Had to force quit to get out it.

Other ideas?

The tabs are to websites are not random. I recognize some of them as relating to a project from last fall. They do not relate to my everyday routine activity on the web.

I checked settings in Safari preferences and System settings re closing windows as suggested above. The settings are correct

Jun 24, 2024 9:28 AM in response to mbb04915

Safari opens with many, many tabs and when I tried to use View/ Tab Overview, safari hangs and a window pops up saying “System has run out of application memory”. Using Ctrl Click on one tab and choosing “close other tabs” successfully closes the multitude of tabs. But why is this happening?

I expect it is malware of some kind tho’ malwarebytes cannot find it.

Making me nervous about the security of my system

Safari opens with 30 tabs automatically

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.