Apple Watch unpaired but still showing on Watch app - can’t re-pair

My partner unpaired her Apple Watch Series 6 as some of the features weren’t working as intended. Upon trying to re-pair she has encountered a problem where the watch is ready to pair, but the Watch app on her phone is still showing the previous watches profile but is stuck with a spinning circle next to it.

When pressing the info circle to attempt to remove the watch profile it pops up with an error stating to bring the watch near the phone. The remove option is greyed out.

Can anyone advise how to remove the previous iteration of the watches profile as the phone is currently not allowing her to pair the watch back up again (assuming this is due to the existing profile that’s got stuck).

Many thanks.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 19, 2024 12:41 PM

5 replies

Jun 19, 2024 1:36 PM in response to Jeff Donald

This is exactly my point.

• Watch was paired with phone A (iPhone 15 pro max)
  • Watch was unpaired due to issues with app via “Erase all content and settings”.
  • Watch reset and ready to pair.
  • Phone A not recognising pairing circle on watch (the swirly circle you need to scan with the phone)
  • Checked watch app on Phone A and watch is still showing as paired although in a constant searching state (can’t connect as watch has reset but can’t delete as needs to be close to watch)
  • Tried to pair watch using a different phone to determine what was at fault. Pairs with phone B (iPhone 12 pro max) as normal.
  • Phone A still stuck with ghost profile regardless of forced reboot.
  • any attempt to remove this ghost profile leads to “connect the watch to the phone” which it simply cannot.

I hope this is enough detail, but thank you for your assistance so far. I do believe it will be a factory reset of the phone currently 😓

Jun 19, 2024 1:15 PM in response to IamPedroUK

What’s an intended phone and what’s a different iPhone? How many iPhones are involved here? An Apple Watch can only be paired to one Apple iPhone at a time.

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Please do a forced restart of both devices

Force Restart Apple Watch - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Set up and pair your Apple Watch with iPhone - Apple Support

Jun 26, 2024 5:00 PM in response to IamPedroUK

Were you able to find a solution to this? I’m stuck with the same. Paired with a different phone for now but I need it back on the first iPhone, but it shows in my watches there, with a spinning wheel, and same error “could not connect to Apple Watch”. And unpair Apple Watch option greyed out. It’s already unpaired. Can’t understand how to remove this

Apple Watch unpaired but still showing on Watch app - can’t re-pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.