iPhone parental controls for a son over 13 not using Family Sharing

I'm helping a friend set an Iphone for their 14 year old son, she has recently separated from her husband and is going through a nasty divorce. She doesn't want to use family sharing as this could give her husband unwanted access to her account. She has bought a sim only contract to put in a new Iphone, he will have his own Apple ID. Is there anyway she can restrict his web access in a way so that he cant just go and turn it back on again! Ie by password protecting it? The carrier provides some protection but not if he uses safari and prevents cross site tracking.

Family sharing really doesn’t seen suitable where families are separated in non amicable circumstances.

Thanks Dan

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 20, 2024 1:59 PM

7 replies

Jun 21, 2024 12:03 AM in response to razmee209

Yes, the link says:

1. “Open the Settings app, then tap Screen Time.
  2. Under Family, choose your child’s name.
  3. Tap Content & Privacy Restrictions. If asked, enter your Screen Time passcode, then turn on Content & Privacy Restrictions.

It’s the reference to family that led me to assume that you need to have family sharing. How do you set up a screentime password - my phone doesn’t seem to want one!

Many thanks

Dan

Jun 20, 2024 3:34 PM in response to Metisse520

Metisse520 wrote:

Surely that requires family sharing which we need to avoid, how do we stop him from changing it, is there an option to password protect it?

It does not require Family Sharing. You can set up ScreenTime on any device without using Family Sharing. Simply go on the device and set up a ScreenTime passcode that the child does not know and continue to set any of the restrictions noted in the link provided by Limnos.

iPhone parental controls for a son over 13 not using Family Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.