Apple Watch Charger Issue (Happened in 2023 May)

After seeing people throwing questions about Apple Watch Charger (USB-C to Magnetic Puck), just wanted to share my experience with it. I always charge my apple watch using original apple charger (20W), and one day the apple watch charger's charging speed starts to slow down and eventually stopped charging. All these happened back in 2023 May and I simply fixed it by replacing the faulty cable with a new one.

Being an engineer working with CT equipment, I conducted a scan on the USB-C head to take a look on the internals (did it in 2023 and didn't bother to upload, thinking that I was just unlucky, but seeing the amount of feedback on Apple lets me think otherwise).

Here is a shot of what was observed, a damaged capacitor (based on my guess) can be seen clearly, with a big glob of metallic material (First image, red crosshair), and as we slice through this capacitor, near where the connection to the PCB board is found, a short/damage can be seen between two adjacent components (second image, red crosshair). If apple is aware of this issue, they should be fixing it as soon as possible. Anyone facing this issue can also share your encounter here. Apple, if you see this, I still have the faulty cable with me if you wish to do failure study.

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 2:10 AM

1 reply

Jun 24, 2024 9:02 AM in response to BBLB96

Apple is not here. Apple engineers have previously stated that they do not look at the Apple Support Communities for feedback or device issues.

Asking folks to chime in is taking a poll. Polls are a violation of the Apple Support Communities' rules of use.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 14.5;  Watch, series 7 GPS/cellular, watchOS 10.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 17.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 17.5; HomePods, audioOS 17.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

Apple Watch Charger Issue (Happened in 2023 May)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.