I have some backups on an external drive. The TM will not allow me to look at anything except NOW.

Got a message that my cloud storage was full. Went to the cloud drive and deleted some files in Documents to make more space. Then emptied the trash so these documents are gone. Strange things happened. If I explain I will go over my allotted text. Need to restore computer to a time when these documents were still in the cloud. I need yo know how to do this as my backups are on an external hard drive.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 1:22 PM

5 replies

Jun 24, 2024 7:15 PM in response to jw5kitties

jw5kitties wrote:

Thank you.It was probably helpful if I was smarter. I don't understand what is happening here either. My story briefly: I run Quickbooks from a desktop program for 3 companies. Having lost data before, I started to back up to an external flash drive which is only engaged when I am in Quickbooks. This drive was not engaged when I tried to clean up my cloud documents. I deleted some old QB files in that appeared in my icloud Documents folder from 2019,20, and 21 for one company. Of course, I emptied the trash. When I opened QB with the flash drive engaged, all the records for that company were gone. Now I want to restore my computer to a time before I deleted those files. I don't know how information on an external drive that was not in operation at the time could be affected, but they were. I guess I am just incredibly stupid but thought an external drive was protecting me from data loss. Now it seems there is no way to get it back.

Flash drives can be less than entirely reliable. Some are hot garbage, whether unreliable deliberately mis-sized. Some purchases from some vendors can be counterfeit devices, too. Sometimes those work, sometimes not.

Flash drives not properly dismounted can be corrupted.

Deleting files from iCloud will not alter those on a disconnected flash device.

A data recovery firm or a data recovery tool might be able to recover something from a corrupt flash device, but won’t be able to recover data from any erased or deleted files.

I would review for the files in the backup first. See if the files are present. If not, a restpration is pointless. That written, here is how to: Restore your Mac - Apple Support — this assumes Time Machine is working, and has some depth of backups. And I would back up the current environment before overwriting it with the restore.

Mistakes can also happen.

Local preference for backups is parallel Time Machine backups, with additional manual backups or,offsite backups for specific and more important files. This as Time Machine backups can sometimes be corrupted, and backup devices can fail, or can be lost, or stolen.

Jun 24, 2024 1:38 PM in response to jw5kitties

I’m not quite sure what is happening here.

iCloud storage is unrelated to Time Machine.

If iCloud is full or some other cloud storage service) is full, you’ll need to free space within iCloud (or the other cloud hosting), or acquire more storage. That’s all unrelated to Time Machine, and TM doesn’t have a supported means to archive into hosted storage. (Some third-party backup apps do.)

Documents stored in iCloud are not backed up in Time Machine.

Documents stored locally are not backed up to iCloud.

The iCloud Files feature setting (when enabled) does store files in iCloud, but does not provide backups.

If Time Machine is not allowing viewing previous backups, it’s either only containing one backup, or the Time Machine archive is corrupt, or maybe the external SSD or HDD is failing.

Jun 24, 2024 6:45 PM in response to MrHoffman

Thank you.It was probably helpful if I was smarter. I don't understand what is happening here either. My story briefly: I run Quickbooks from a desktop program for 3 companies. Having lost data before, I started to back up to an external flash drive which is only engaged when I am in Quickbooks. This drive was not engaged when I tried to clean up my cloud documents. I deleted some old QB files in that appeared in my icloud Documents folder from 2019,20, and 21 for one company. Of course, I emptied the trash. When I opened QB with the flash drive engaged, all the records for that company were gone. Now I want to restore my computer to a time before I deleted those files. I don't know how information on an external drive that was not in operation at the time could be affected, but they were. I guess I am just incredibly stupid but thought an external drive was protecting me from data loss. Now it seems there is no way to get it back.

Jun 25, 2024 10:03 AM in response to MrHoffman

First thing is heartfelt thanks to everyone who reached out to me. It has underscored my lack of understanding of how things work. While looking at the files on my flash drive, I notice that there is the cloud symbol next to almost all, which tells me that the drive was in fact using thins on the cloud to function. I am awash in ignorance about how clouds and one drives in Windows work. Hopefully my time with the community will lessen some of this. I did do a restore to my cloud drive back in May, before any deletions were made. So far, so good, right? When I open the cloud drive I see some (maybe all) of the deleted files but they are 'grayed out'. When trying to open them I get asked if I wan to download them. Should I? Please let me know before I do something even more stupid than the things I have already done.

I have some backups on an external drive. The TM will not allow me to look at anything except NOW.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.