Can someone get past authentication lock if they know my passcode?

Hi folks,

My phone got stolen and I've used Find My to erase the data (erase pending). Hypothetically, I was wondering if the thief can get past authentication lock if they knew my passcode?

From images/videos of the authentication lock screen I've seen it says "Unlock with passcode", you can just bypass authentication lock with a passcode? If they know the passcode it render authentication lock useless?

eg. below.

Thanks

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Jun 26, 2024 2:45 PM

9 replies

Jun 26, 2024 5:28 PM in response to ghoulcabin

If you can't use your passcode to unlock the phone, these Support article statements are a bit confusing.

Mark a device as lost in Find My on iPhone - Apple Support

"For iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Apple Watch, you can also turn off Lost Mode by entering your passcode on the device"

If your iPhone or iPad is lost or stolen - Apple Support

"When you mark your iPhone or iPad as lost, your device is put in Lost Mode — it's locked with a passcode, payment cards and passes that you use with Apple Pay are suspended, and you can display a phone number and message for someone who finds your device."

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

"Remove Activation Lock on the device

Follow the onscreen steps to enter the Apple ID and password you used to set up your device or your device passcode"

Can someone get past authentication lock if they know my passcode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.