How do I get gmail through iphone Mail?

1) I prefer to receive gmail through Mail on my iphone 14 Pro Max and Mail is set as the default.

2) However I had to reset my Google password and then Google suggested an update on the google app.

3) When I did the update somehow Mail is no longer receiving new gmails

4) Even though Mail is still set as the default for emails

5) Instead it's coming through the google app which I don't want

6) Please suggest how to get back to using Mail to receive my gmail

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jun 27, 2024 4:53 PM

9 replies

Jun 27, 2024 4:56 PM in response to skt11

skt11 wrote:

1) I prefer to receive gmail through Mail on my iphone 14 Pro Max and Mail is set as the default.
2) However I had to reset my Google password and then Google suggested an update on the google app.
3) When I did the update somehow Mail is no longer receiving new gmails
4) Even though Mail is still set as the default for emails
4) Instead it's coming through the google app which I don't want

Hello, skt11

Here are some steps that will allow you to add a Gmail account to the Mail app:\

1. Go to Settings > Mail, then tap Accounts.
  2. Tap Add Account, then select your email provider.
  3. Enter your email address and password.
  4. If you see Next, tap Next and wait for Mail to verify your account.
  5. If you see Save, tap Save.

This Apple article will also help you Add an email account to your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support.

Hope this information helps,

Take care

Jun 29, 2024 3:24 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks, Larry, for responding. I didn't delete the gmail account because I was afraid I would lose my data.

Google had added an app to my app listing but when I started to delete it there it warned I would lose my gmail data.

I tried the apple article above and it worked to restore gmail to Mail but gmail is also still in the google app in google's format when I click on it. Obviously, I don't understand if the gmail account and google app are the same so do you think if I delete the app (and therefore all the gmails that appear there) will I still be retaining all my gmails in Mail?

Jun 29, 2024 3:37 PM in response to skt11

This is my response to the apple article: This information worked to restore gmail to Mail. However, the google app is still on my phone home screen and when I click on it all my emails are still coming there as well except in the google format. I started to delete it and was warned that in doing so I would lose all my gmail data. If that happened would I still retain all my gmails that were in Mail prior to the problem with google usurping Mail?

How do I get gmail through iphone Mail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.