MacBook won’t access internet except in safe mode

Yesterday when I turned on my laptop I couldn’t access the Internet. It shows that it’s connected but I can’t open any webpage. It’s not a problem with my internet provider as other devices are connected and the same problem happens when I try to connect to my phone’s hotspot and other Wi-Fi.

I followed advice online, ran WiFi diagnostics and it came up with a problem with the DNS. I tried changing this to the Google one, but it made no difference.

Today I went to a computer repair shop. They opened the laptop in safe mode and it connected without a problem to the internet. They said it meant there was a problem with some software and so I should delete them one by one to find the problem.

I have now spent several hours doing this and installed updates to my OS. I still can’t access the internet except in safe mode.

Please help!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 29, 2024 4:41 AM

1 reply

Jun 29, 2024 5:28 AM in response to Lunawasp

since it works in safe mode, that indicates to me that it is indeed software related.

i'm thinking you should download and run the free version of EtreCheck so we can see if you have some software installed that is causing your issue. make sure you give "full disk access" to etrecheck. Learn how to use it by reading Using EtreCheck. if you need help interpreting the report, you can see how to post the report here by reading How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report. and it automatically obscures sensitive things (like serial numbers) so you don't have to worry about sharing the report here.

MacBook won’t access internet except in safe mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.