How to use my fingerprint as a way to download apps rather than my password?

Every time I want to download an app, I need to enter my Apple ID password. It never just asks for my finger print. I have gone into the settings, nothing seems to work, it always reverts back to needing my Apple ID password. I would like to be able to download with fingerprint.

This seems to be in place for additional security, but if I forget my Apple ID password I can change it if I know my device unlock password. So how is this offering any additional security? Why wouldn’t the AppStore just ask for my device unlock code or my finger print?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad mini 5, iPadOS 17

Posted on Jun 29, 2024 8:01 AM

2 replies

Jun 29, 2024 8:16 AM in response to Cb0017

You have the option to require the Apple ID Password for purchases. This is not done by default and must have been turned on. Many times parents will use this option to prevent their children from making purchases on their device and will also set their device to prevent account changes so the password cannot be reset. All you need to do is turn off this requirement. This Support Article shows how to turn it on, but you will be able to shut it off by following the same steps.

Require a password for App Store and iTunes purchases - Apple Support

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Media & Purchases.
  4. Tap Password Settings, then choose the setting that you want.

How to use my fingerprint as a way to download apps rather than my password?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.