Firmware lock

I just bought new mac and my previous mac got firmware lock. I forgot my firmware password. That mac brought from Qatar by my uncal. . I logged out my apple id and wanted to factory reset but it's got locked. 2017 macbook air

It's bought on 2019 from Qatar and I don't have the bill because my Uncal didn't send me the bill with laptop. How can I remove that firmware password?

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Air, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 1, 2024 12:17 AM

2 replies

Jul 1, 2024 2:36 AM in response to ananta195

The only thing that you can do is this:

If you can't remember your firmware password, schedule an in-person service appointment with an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider. Bring your Mac to the appointment, as well as your original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase.

If you cannot go to an Apple Store or an Authorised service provider you cannot remove the lock I am afraid

Jul 1, 2024 4:28 AM in response to ananta195

ananta195 wrote:

I don't have the bill because my Uncal didn't send me the bill with laptop.

As WheelieNick indicates, Apple won't help to remove a firmware lock without an original receipt or invoice as proof of purchase. Ask your uncle to find that original receipt or invoice. I'm not sure if he has to be the person to take in the Mac (since his photo ID would match the name on the invoice), or if Apple would let you do it.

Firmware lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.