Apple Pencil not pairing with iPad Pro

I recently purchased an iPad Pro and the Apple Pencil. I had no initial problems with the pairing and set up, but I noted that the options to tap the pencil was not functioning, nor the ability to charge by simply resting on the magnetic bar. A friend of mine saw me using my cord to charge the pen and asked why I wasnt using the magnet. So I began to try to figure this out, suggestions were to unpair and reset. I tried this and now my iPad doesn't recognize the pen whatsoever. I have charged it fully, I have reset the settings on iPad. I have been an iPad user for years but never bought the pencil, and I really was confused as to why the pencil was worth the purchase bc it didn't do any differently than the styluses I have purchased in the past. If it was fully functioning then I might be more impressed. From reading many of the aforementioned complaints this is a problem with many consumers, but after trying all the troubleshooting that has been suggested I have found none of these options to work. Please advise.

iPad

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 6:11 AM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2024 6:24 AM in response to armourjo

You make no mention of your iPad model - this being significant as different iPad models support one, or possibly two, of the available versions of the Apple Pencil.

Here is Apple's definitive compatibility list for Apple Pencil and iPad:

Apple Pencil compatibility - Apple Support

Each Apple Pencil can only be used with the iPad model with which it is compatible; Pencils are otherwise not interchangeable.

A USB-C Pencil can magnetically attach to iPad models that feature a USB-C port, but can only be charged using a wired USB-C connection with the host iPad or Power Adapter.

The second generation Pencil - and new Apple Pencil Pro - attach magnetically with and wirelessly charge from the compatible iPad Air and iPad Pro. The new Pencil Pro is only compatible with the new 2024 iPad Air M2 and Pro M4 models.

These support pages may be helpful with pairing and use of the Pencil with your iPad:

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

Charge your Apple Pencil and check the battery - Apple Support

If you continue to experience difficulties, here is one of the better troubleshooting guides:

https://appletoolbox.com/apple-pencil-not-working-heres-our-troubleshooting-guide/

Be aware that if your Pencil has been set-aside for an extended period, unused and uncharged, the Pencil battery may have been damaged through deep discharge. In common with all Li-ion batteries, they must always have some level of charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. 

It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

Gentle warming of the Pencil (such as placing on a hot water radiator), prior to attempting charging of the Pencil, can sometimes resurrect a dead Pencil battery.

Jul 2, 2024 6:45 AM in response to armourjo

I have the iPad Pro 11-inch 4th Generation. I have used the apple pencil with the USB-C since I received it and as stated it paired initially but the tap function was not working nor the magnetic charging option. To charge I have had to plug it into charger each time. I will read the suggestions you have posted and cross my fingers. Thank you for your quick response.

Apple Pencil not pairing with iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.