Microsoft Outlook will no longer work with Apple Mail

I have received an eMail from Microsoft informing me that as of September 16, 2024, I will no longer be able to access Outlook through Mail. I am required to update my Outlook access through Apple Mail, how do we do that? Or, is Apple going to update Mail because of this?

Mac mini

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 6:40 AM

6 replies

Jul 3, 2024 3:10 PM in response to ConfusedMe2

Sonoma is later, much much later than 10.14 Mojave.

Go into System Settings ➜ Internet Accounts, and make sure your Microsoft email account shows up as an Exchange account there. If it does then you are fine.

It does affect accounts added to iPhone and iPad yes.

On your iPhone go into Settings ➜ Mail ➜ Accounts, and make sure your account appears there as Outlook, and not as Hotmail or Live. If it does, then you are fine. If it doesn't, you may need to remove it from there, and add it again using the Outlook option.

Jul 2, 2024 7:00 AM in response to Ike_C

Microsoft will continue to support Apple Mail, they just require a higher more secure level of authentication to use your Outlook.com, Hotmail.com or Live.com email accounts with it.

Apple Mail supports it fine, unless you have an older macOS version with an older version of Mail on it.

What macOS version is your Mac currently running?

click here ➜ https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/outlook-blog/keeping-our-outlook-personal-email-users-safe-reinforcing-our/ba-p/4164184

To help keep Outlook personal email accounts secure, starting

September 16, 2024, Microsoft will no longer support Basic Auth, the

method in which a person provides only their username and password to

sign into their account.  As of September 16, 2024, Outlook will require

that all those with a Microsoft email account use a mail or calendar

app or the Outlook.com website which supports modern auth, such as the

latest versions of Outlook, Apple Mail, or Thunderbird.  

Jul 3, 2024 1:23 PM in response to Phil0124

Since I am not certain if the software on my MacAir falls into the "or later" basket, please let me know if Sonoma 14.5 on my MacAir supports Microsoft modern authentication workflows. If not, what should I do.

Just so you know, I do have 365 on my machine, but I would rather use Apple Mail and Calendar than Microsoft's equivalent. Thus the reason I want to stick with Apple Mail and Calendar.

Also, will this impact Apple Mail and Calendar on my iPhone 15?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Microsoft Outlook will no longer work with Apple Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.