You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Icloud locked to previous owner

3 months ago i purchased an iphone with bill but the owner cant remove his apple id or cant remove device from his account what can i do

team apple need to help me otherwise i lost my money because of previous owner or apple services

i have a bill with previous owner name

Posted on Jul 16, 2024 3:09 PM

5 replies

Jul 16, 2024 3:14 PM in response to TRAVELWITHUSAMA

If you see a "Locked To Owner" message, one referring to iCloud locked, or activation locked:

Take it back to the person from whom you received it. Get them to do the things in this support article or ask for a refund --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support There is no way to discover the owner of a device unless they left a message to display on the device when it is turned on, or the person who gave you the device knows them.

Read this article about removing Activation Lock --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support Unless you have the account information that set the lock, the original receipt from Apple, or can demonstrate legal inheritance from a deceased owner, you cannot remove the lock; recycle the device.

From the very bottom of Apple Trade In - Apple :

"Does Apple offer recycling?

Yes. Apple Trade In lets you recycle any Apple device (including devices from Apple-owned brands) at any Apple Store and on Apple for free. That includes your batteries and old electronic products as well as free, on-demand packaging recycling for our commercial, education, and institutional customers. When we receive your device, it will be thoroughly inspected to determine if components can be recycled or reused. Whether recycled or reused, all activities relating to the processing of your device will be managed in an environmentally responsible way."

Jul 16, 2024 3:39 PM in response to TRAVELWITHUSAMA

Please read what I previous posted. It explains your situation and what you can do. You either need to contact the account owner and get that person to remove the lock, or you have ao have a receipt which Apple is prepared to accept as proof of ownership and submit an unlock request. Apple's definition of acceptable is pretty narrow and isn't just any receipt. Typically it is the original receipt for the sale of the device by an Apple authorized dealership to the first owner. Unless you can provide either of those then yes, you quite likely have lost your money. We see many posts daily like yours and you are not alone.

Icloud locked to previous owner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.