You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Pop up message after restoring storage from Time Machine

Today I have erased data from my hard drive using disk Utility - I had an incident of clicking a link in a possible phising email and wanted to be sure that my iMac is clean of malware. Afterwards I have restored my Disk using Time Machine copy (stored on an external hard drive and made couple months before, so should be Safe).

everything seemed fine, but after restoring data and rebooting, a message popped up from system settings that „system extension signed by fumihiko takayama has been blocked”. I did some Google searching and apparently something similar happened to people who installed an app called Karabiner. However, I do not have this app.

Is it possible that its some kind of malware?

iMac 24″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 2:13 PM

6 replies

Aug 17, 2024 4:34 PM in response to Alex1064

It depends.

• First, a disclaimer: As a rule, I never install third party system extensions on any of my Macs, because I need them to work reliably. Moreover, I don't know how to uninstall them. I do know that removing those third party system extensions can be difficult.

Next: If you want to track down the likely culprits, EtreCheck is likely to help. Instructions are here: How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report - Apple Community.

Follow those instructions. Please read them with care, and post that report in a reply to this Discussion. If I can help, I will.

Pop up message after restoring storage from Time Machine

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.