You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Error "Failed to Activate Device" on MacBook Pro after erasing it

My daughter gave me her Macbook pro 2020/13 inch.

I have trouble and when erasing everything and when it comes to "Activate Mac" it shows "Failed to activate device".

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 7, 2024 10:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 4:34 AM

Same problem for me. Currently with 2 MacBook Pro's 14 inch 2021 with M1 Pro chipset.

Had multiple calls with support. Went through all possible steps.

Last support agent told me there might be an issue on Apple's end.

Really hope this will be resolved quickly because I have 2 unusable MacBooks here.

25 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 9, 2024 4:34 AM in response to balraj215

Same problem for me. Currently with 2 MacBook Pro's 14 inch 2021 with M1 Pro chipset.

Had multiple calls with support. Went through all possible steps.

Last support agent told me there might be an issue on Apple's end.

Really hope this will be resolved quickly because I have 2 unusable MacBooks here.

Sep 10, 2024 4:11 PM in response to balraj215

Hello guys, I found a way to install a new macOS Sonoma on my apple MacBook Pro M3 Pro 16inch.

I had the same issue "Failed to activate device".

I ask my colleague at office to use his MacBook Pro 2019 16inch(Mac OS Sonoma) so that I will try to revived or restore my MacBook.

I follow all the steps on this link How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

And everything went well. I have my MacBook Pro M3 pro back in business.

I hope this will help.

Note: it's not easy to get into DFU mode but just try till you get it right. it's not impossible.

Sep 13, 2024 7:10 AM in response to maoawa

My colleague's apple macbook pro 16 2019 had catalina installed, when I try to install Apple configurator on it, it said I need tu upgrade to at least monterey. I upgrade his mac to macos 14.6 sonoma.

Then I try again to install apple configurator from applestore. This time, the install succeded.

And I start to follow the steps of How to revive or restore Mac firmware - Apple Support

I will call Macbook pro 16 2019 Mac A and my macbook pro M3 pro Mac B

Mac A has sonoma

Mac B Failed to activate

1. I connect Mac A to internet with a good speed and also to power till it gets full charged
  2. On Mac A, I launch Apple Configurator showing the message "Connect device"
  3. I shutdown Mac B and plug it into power
  4. I use a Type-C to Type-C white cable of Mac A to connect the two Macs (Any type-C port of Mac A to the most left Type-C port on the magSafe side of the Mac B)
  5. At this time, everything was setup and ready to start the process, I got the big breath!!!
  6. On Mac B I press Power Button and the control +option + right shift, the first time I missed it and the second time I got it right.
  7. I realize I got it because I press power button first just before it starts, add control+option+right shift while still holding power button. It all about timing. Power button pressed, the Mac B starts and instatntly while holding Power button, press control+option+shift for 10 seconds. I got DFU on the Mac A screen in apple configurator.
  8. I restore the Mac B

I hope this come help, That what I did for my Macbook Pro. I was not believing that could work succefully as it was my first time to do it, but I was surprised and happy at the same time when I see DFU on the Mac B screen.

Good luck

Sep 13, 2024 12:34 AM in response to Huib95

I have fixed my MacBooks.

After browsing reddit someone suggested to do the Restore through DFU-mode with another MacBook.

The thing is he managed to get a successful activation on his 15th try.

I had some time so I gave it a shot. On my 12th try I got a successful activation.

Please note a Restore takes roughly 30 minutes.

If you’re desperate and can’t wait, please try this option.

Sep 13, 2024 7:12 AM in response to EricWang12

I share your frustrations.

Over a few days I restored my MacBooks a dozen of times.

I used a 2019 MacBook with intel chipset running Apple Configurator.

usb-c cable should be on the left side closest to you!

The broken MacBook, usb-c cable, also left side closest to the screen.

The process I repeated was:

1. Turn off device.
  2. Enter DFU mode
  3. Restore using Apple Configurator
  4. Enable wifi, once the restore is complete.

Now you will get the verification failed screen.

I repeated these steps the whole evening. Attempt 12 I went to a different screen after enabling wifi. This meant the verification was succesful.

I cannot guarantee this will work for you. But apple wont help you. And it seemed this method of being persistent worked for other people aswell.

Please let me know if it worked out

Sep 13, 2024 8:33 AM in response to balraj215

Same here with now already two devices. One Mac Studio with M1 Max after update to Sonoma 14.6.1 and now with Mac Book Pro 16“ with M1Pro after update to Sonoma 14.6.1 .

Even worse Apple support doesn’t really have a clue and now after 5 different phone chats plus webchat they gave me an appointment for Monday morning at the local Apple Store Genius Bar.

We had done 6 DFU run thrus which were confusing since after unpacking the fresh downloaded 15 Gigs ! operating system file the DFU process gets interrupted with an error message that the „Firmware file is damaged“.

further more the error message suggest just to try again.

I really hope Apple is doing something quick behind the scenes since this really turns out to become a massive problem. Even today I had to wait in line already over one hour and then hearing from the second level support tear that they have no clue what else to do. One even mentioned that the motherboard might even have a real defect now. So even worse because in my opinion this shouldn’t happen to two different device during the same period of time.

The Mac Studio btw. Is now 2 years and 4 month old and the Mac Book Pro is 2 years old.

Keep the fingers crossed for Monday. Hope the Genius Bar is not only a name for an area of no hope.

Error "Failed to Activate Device" on MacBook Pro after erasing it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.