You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

How do I open the battery compartment of an Apple TV remote?

I have a very old Apple TV - the big white one. Going to replace the battery in the remote, but cannot figure out how to open it. Anyone knows??

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 12:46 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 10, 2024 1:10 PM

I have a very old Apple TV - the big white one.

That is indeed very old. It was sold from 2007–2010. Nice for a personal museum, but unfortunately not much else. Any useful functionality it had, is no longer supported. It isn’t allowed to connect to the iTunes Store anymore, so it can’t get or validate any movies or TV show from Apple’s Store. Syncing non-DRM files to it requires a very old version (v12.6.2 or earlier) of the iTunes application, which wouldn’t be available for modern computers.

Going to replace the battery in the remote, but cannot figure out how to open it. Anyone knows??

See here: How to replace the battery in your Apple Remote - Apple Support

The battery compartment will have a groove, which should fit a flat rounded object, like a thin coin. Then turn it 90° counterclockwise to unlock and open up that compartment. It uses either a BR2032 or CR2032 battery.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 10, 2024 1:10 PM in response to bindslevthomas

I have a very old Apple TV - the big white one.

That is indeed very old. It was sold from 2007–2010. Nice for a personal museum, but unfortunately not much else. Any useful functionality it had, is no longer supported. It isn’t allowed to connect to the iTunes Store anymore, so it can’t get or validate any movies or TV show from Apple’s Store. Syncing non-DRM files to it requires a very old version (v12.6.2 or earlier) of the iTunes application, which wouldn’t be available for modern computers.

Going to replace the battery in the remote, but cannot figure out how to open it. Anyone knows??

See here: How to replace the battery in your Apple Remote - Apple Support

The battery compartment will have a groove, which should fit a flat rounded object, like a thin coin. Then turn it 90° counterclockwise to unlock and open up that compartment. It uses either a BR2032 or CR2032 battery.

How do I open the battery compartment of an Apple TV remote?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.