You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPhone lagging after iOS 18 Update

After today’s update, I’m facing immense lagging issue with the UI, while playing games ( graphics as Average) and typing pauses. System had utilised only 50% storage. What’s the suggested solutions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 14 Plus, iOS 18

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 5:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2024 8:39 PM

after ios 18 installing in my iphone 11 my iphone was very laggy and chopy all apps are very laggy please solve my problem Thanks!

46 replies

Sep 18, 2024 7:17 AM in response to razmee209

i updated yesterday to 18

im on 14 pro

i have the exact same issue. constant frame drops, even on youtube..

restart didnt work, storage is ok

game setting equal to ios 17

the ios 18 update has performance issues and you cant blame the iphone.. im assuming they dont dont do it on purpose since 14 pro should still be a valid phone, right?

anyways next week in getting the 16 pro, ill check the performance there on ios 18

for now no more gaming, maybe ill read a book.

Sep 18, 2024 7:37 AM in response to Alijutt244

Yup same happened to me too. I have iphone se 2022 bought it fall 2023 and ever since I updated from 17.6.1 to 18 its been laggy and slow. Sometimes I have to touch things a few times for it to recognize that Im opening an app or something. Just fyi apple wont fix any of these bugs for another year. This always happens. It takes them forever to fix an issue thats a year old.

Sep 21, 2024 5:25 AM in response to firat37

soo… heres my update

i got the iphone 16 pro (on ios 18)

and all my lagg issues are gone..

gaming goed smoothly even on higher settings than on 14 pro (genshin impact, mobile legends).. even youtube is working without frame drops

i guess its true, they force you to buy a new phone every 2 year..

oh well.. guess i dont have have to read a book anymore.. did only finish 1 page tho in 3 days

Sep 21, 2024 8:42 PM in response to Binsont4tooth

I’m experiencing this too, and I found this article with a suggestion that worked: https://www.idownloadblog.com/2023/04/07/how-to-fix-slow-search-on-iphone/

Toggle Search off and on

1. Go to iPhone Settings and tap Siri & Search.
  2. Scroll down and turn off all the switches you see in the screenshot below.
  3. Restart your iPhone.
  4. Go back to Siri & Search settingsand turn on the switches. After this, Spotlight Search should work as intended.

This makes sense that it works because after an OS update, Siri updates its search index for your phone messages, mail, and apps. It can take a long time and while it’s working in the background, apps slow down and searching can take longer than usual, and you might notice Photos.app says that it’s not syncing to iCloud because it is “optimizing system performance.” To help it along, I also made sure to turn off low power mode and plug in my phone so that the phone can run these long tasks as quickly as possible. 

Sep 22, 2024 1:14 AM in response to firat37

The iPhone 16 is native to the new iOS 18, it is literally what the phone was built for, but all the other lineups (as you said, iPhone 14 pro) are not. You need to wait for patches, iOS 18.1 etc... for your older iPhone to actually work without lags, bugs, battery drops, frame drops etc... That's why they offer iOS 17.7 alongside with iOS 18. You don't need to buy a new phone, you just need to wait.

iPhone lagging after iOS 18 Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.