📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I changed my Apple ID password--how do I update all my other devices with the new password without having to sign out and the consequential hassle of removing (and re-entering) all my cards in Wallet for each device?

One or two days ago I got a pop up on my iPad requiring me to reset my Apple ID password for some reason. I generated a new password using Keychain, reset the password, and had to delete my old Apple ID password entry from Keychain before saving the new entry. But I found now Keychain is not syncing between my iPad and other Apple devices, and in fact none of my apps that sync via iCloud are syncing.

I assume this is because my other Apple devices are still signed in with the old password. So on my iPhone I thought I should try signing out and signing back in, but that deactivates Find My and wipes private data like Wallet so I have to re-enter all my cards again. Surely, this isn't the way the password reset process is designed to work, is it? Do I really have to re-set up Wallet on all my devices every time I change my password?

Apple has made me reset the password I believe two or three times this year, but that's beside the point because it shouldn't be this much of a hassle even once in a blue moon if it doesn't need to be, and this seems pretty unnecessary. Plus changing passwords regularly is good practice, so the process should be as hassle-free as possible, which Apple is generally good at. Am I experiencing a bug? Am I doing something incorrectly?

Appreciate the help/insight!

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 25, 2024 8:20 PM

4 replies

Sep 26, 2024 8:44 AM in response to Limnos

Thanks, but logging out was the issue since it would have required me to wipe my Wallet on all my devices. I did try initiating sync by restarting all my devices but it didn’t help. All my devices are connected to internet and I gave it a good full 24 hours but no update.

To avoid having to set up my Wallet on all my devices again though, what I ended up doing was changing my password again, but this time when it asked me if I wanted to sign out of all my devices, I chose Yes (I believe last time I chose No). This was the key because the next time I used each of my devices, it gave me a prompt asking me to sign in with the new password, and I didn’t have to sign out manually which would have caused the aforementioned headache. After signing in with the new password, Keychain and all iCloud linked apps synced immediately.

The only remaining annoyances were I had to type the complicated generated password manually for each device—I couldn’t copy paste via Universal Clipboard because all my devices were signed out. And I again had to update my Apple ID Keychain entry manually with the new password.

Sep 25, 2024 8:46 PM in response to oregonjoe

By the way, how I would expect the password reset process to go--

A pop up appears asking (requiring) you to change your password, and it gives the option to generate the password via Keychain within the same dialog box. Once you do that, it also automatically edits the Keychain entry with the new password. Then either each of your devices is automatically updated with the new password, or if that's too much of a security risk, then a pop up appears on each device asking you to enter the new password (without signing out and erasing Wallet etc). And if your first device that has the updated password is with you and turned on, then a pop up appears on it with a button that will copy the new password and paste it via Universal Clipboard or Airdrop to your second device in the "enter new password" field. That would be pretty seamless.

I changed my Apple ID password--how do I update all my other devices with the new password without having to sign out and the consequential hassle of removing (and re-entering) all my cards in Wallet for each device?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.