You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Macbook Pro setting my current location to somewhere I am not

I am on the east coast of the US but my Macbook just started mistakenly saying that I am in London, UK. Which of course throws off the clock and then my calendar. It just started this afternoon. Coincidentally, I just started using my new Starlink internet connection. But this is not happening to my iPhone or iPad which is also using the same Starlink connection.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 10, 2024 1:51 PM

2 replies

Oct 10, 2024 2:01 PM in response to JaymoHNL

Your iPhone has GPS capability as does your iPad if it's a cellular model, which can allow them to identify their position directly. Your Mac has no such capability, so location is based on where the location databases on the Internet think you are as extrapolated from your IP address. It's out of your control. You'll need to talk with Starlink about this.

Regards.

Oct 10, 2024 5:00 PM in response to varjak paw

You seem to have the correct answer. Thank you. The Starlink AI Support bot gave me this response. "Starlink's geolocation might not always match your exact location, which can affect automatic time zone settings. Unfortunately, providing an IP address that matches your specific location isn't guaranteed at this time. If this issue continues to disrupt your work, I can suggest creating a support ticket for further assistance."

Macbook Pro setting my current location to somewhere I am not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.