You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPad Pro Storage - How to Free Up Storage Space

My iPad Pro has 64 GB of storage space. In Settings it says I've used 57.74 GB of 64 GB. The top few apps say I've used:

1. Music: 3.49 GB (App size: 23.9 mb; Docs & Data: 3.47 gb)
    2. Photos: 2.86 GB (Docs & Data: 2.86 gb)
    3. Facebook: 2.67 GB (App size: 34.17 mb; Docs & Data: 2.33 gb)
    4. OneDrive: 2.53 GB (App size: 291.3 mb; Docs & Data: 2.24 gb)

For Music and Photos I have the Optimize Storage turned on (Music set to 0 kb)

Am I able to delete the Documents and Data from each app? How do I do it?

Where are these file? I don't want to store these on my iPad (or iPhone or MacBook)

Thanks

iPad Pro, iPadOS 17

Posted on Oct 12, 2024 10:43 AM

7 replies

Oct 12, 2024 11:45 AM in response to jwmon

Desktop and Documents is on a Mac, not on a iPad. Documents are what you see in your Files app on a iPad. The music I wouldn't upload to iCloud. Look at a another data backup routine that is free for the music, like Megasnyc.

Not sure what kind of port you have on your iPad. If it is a USB-C you could plug in a external SSD into it and off load some of what you have on the iPad and iCloud onto it. Like photos. Keep the ones you want to sync between devices.

Oct 13, 2024 12:21 PM in response to AlWeir

In my iPad’s Settings/iPad Storage, each App lists “Documents and Data” along with the App Size. It doesn’t break out what is in that category and doesn’t give me an opportunity to delete anything. I store no music, photos or files such as Word docs, spreadsheets, pdf’s, etc. I have no idea what is making up the amount stored in that “Documents and Data” classification. What is making up the 2.33 gb in Facebook?

Bottom line is I’m down to 7 gb of storage in my iPad with no files that I created and can control. I am considering:

1. Delete and then reinstall those apps hoping those mysterious files don’t come back.
    2. Perform a complete reset of my iPad and again, reinstalling those apps (I’ve already backed up my IPad so I can restore any actual files I want back)

I do like the idea of getting backup drive for my photos, and music (although I subscribe to Apple Music so there is nothing to backup, unless I want to re-copy my old cd’s. And for storing all else including back ups.

Thx

Jeff

Oct 15, 2024 6:51 AM in response to jwmon

Update:

I ended up performing a factory reset on my iPad and decided to restore the latest backup (was thinking of restoring apps as needed). While that opened several gigs of storage at first, but then found some apps growing as time went by, particularly Facebook. So I did the following:

1. Deleted Facebook completely. Although I considered leaving it off, but reinstalled it and found that about 2gb of data didn’t reinstall.
    2. Deleted all photo and video attachments from Messages (did it in the iPad Storage area).
    3. Did find a lot of my iBooks showed as being downloaded (I read a lot!). Wiped them all out knowing I can always go back and download if needed (the “book” is still in my Library).
    4. Deleted Podcasts and Audible books I didn’t realize were on my iPad, again, can always reload.

Bottom Line: I now have almost 25gb of 64 gb available from 7 gb available previously.

Still can’t understand why Apple Music and Photos takes up a combined 5 gb of data when I don’t store any of those files on my device. Would love to find out why and how to manage.

Would also like to be able to see the details to the App’s “Documents and Data” so I can decide what I really want to keep. Maybe someone out there knows a way?

Jeff

Oct 13, 2024 12:43 PM in response to jwmon

Really don't know what Apple is doing to their mobile device's to warrant all the data they are creating. I do know that when you upload anything to iCloud it is also uploading a very small file that I believe is used for iCloud (Apple Servers). How much room they take up I don't know but it goes against you total storage limit.

iPad Pro Storage - How to Free Up Storage Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.