Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEED HELP! Full storage on ipad! Does iCloud storage really not help?

Phone storage & iCloud storage. 

After readying a couple threads here about low storage issues. I think I realized that I’ve been  paying for extra iCloud storage for nothing after all. 

I originally bought more data storage for myself because my current iPad and iPhone have the smallest amount of device storage on them compared to  previous apple products.

I noticed my iPad and iPhone filling up, so i eventually bought iCloud storage.

But if I’m not mistaken, I just found out that

- iCloud storage isn’t a solution for low data thats physically stored within the device. 

-A actual solution would be: finding out whats being stored on device, then by evaluating whats most important & what could be deleted. 

If the above points are true, then I don’t understand what’s eaten up all my space on my devices? When i view my storage data on my phone. By clicking: Settings/General/ iPad Storage.

The iPad it shows in this order:  photos, applications, iPad OS, Books. 

Why wouldn’t extra purchased iCloud storage help me in this situation? iPhoto i thought for sure, every photo/video is synced to the cloud (therefore within iCloud storage?). 

Same with apps are stored in the iCloud? 

I noticed that the majority of my applications are not even stored on my iPad anymore. When i click on these apps, they have a little cloud next to them, (assuming they’re in the cloud) & when i click on  any of these apps, it shows the application redownloads.

If most of my apps seem to be on the iCloud then how can they be the 2nd most consuming data problem right behind iPhoto? HELP

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 26, 2023 2:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2023 6:40 AM

Always1badAppple wrote:

- iCloud storage isn’t a solution for low data thats physically stored within the device. 
-A actual solution would be: finding out whats being stored on device, then by evaluating whats most important & what could be deleted. 

That is correct:

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

I noticed that the majority of my applications are not even stored on my iPad anymore. When i click on these apps, they have a little cloud next to them, (assuming they’re in the cloud) & when i click on  any of these apps, it shows the application redownloads.
If most of my apps seem to be on the iCloud then how can they be the 2nd most consuming data problem right behind iPhoto? HELP

Applications are never stored in iCloud. That little cloud icon in the App Store means that you have, at some point in the past downloaded them from the App Store and can do so again without paying or verifying again.

Are you seeing huge amounts of "Other" in your iPhone storage? If so, the most reliable method for getting rid of that is to back up the phone (preferably to a computer) then restore the phone to that back up.

How much storage do you have on your devices?

See also:

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2023 6:40 AM in response to Always1badAppple

Always1badAppple wrote:

That is correct:

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? - Apple Support

Applications are never stored in iCloud. That little cloud icon in the App Store means that you have, at some point in the past downloaded them from the App Store and can do so again without paying or verifying again.

Are you seeing huge amounts of "Other" in your iPhone storage? If so, the most reliable method for getting rid of that is to back up the phone (preferably to a computer) then restore the phone to that back up.

How much storage do you have on your devices?

See also:

Manage your photo and video storage - Apple Support

NEED HELP! Full storage on ipad! Does iCloud storage really not help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.