Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is that 5GB worth of data in the Files app?

My wife's iPad is almost out of storage. We've cleaned up the obvious storage, and some things can't be deleted. But one thing baffles us.

According to iPad Storage in Settings, the Files app is using more than 5GB for documents and data. However, there are hardly any files and folders visible in the File app, On This iPad subitem, and almost everything that is visible there is app-related. (For instance, there are two Minecraft-related folders shown, but of course Minecraft has its own item in iPad Storage.) My wife does not keep documents or images on the iPad. We've switched off iCloud Photos sync for the iPad, and that took care of all the unnecessary photos stored on the device.

So how can we find out what those 5GB of Files storage contain? We really want to clear away as much of that 5GB as possible.

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 7:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 7:29 AM

Support has answered my questions:

• The Documents and Data category under the Files app could be anything, really, related to any app on the device; apps don't necessarily bother to save data as app-related, and whatever they don't save as app-related is counted under the Files app.
  • There is no way whatsoever to drill down into this storage to find out what it is, and which app is responsible for it.
  • So if you're an iPad user, and want to free storage, and see the Files app apparently using tremendous amounts of storage, and you want to do something about that... your sh&t out of luck.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 8, 2022 7:29 AM in response to FMK205

Support has answered my questions:

• The Documents and Data category under the Files app could be anything, really, related to any app on the device; apps don't necessarily bother to save data as app-related, and whatever they don't save as app-related is counted under the Files app.
  • There is no way whatsoever to drill down into this storage to find out what it is, and which app is responsible for it.
  • So if you're an iPad user, and want to free storage, and see the Files app apparently using tremendous amounts of storage, and you want to do something about that... your sh&t out of luck.

Feb 7, 2022 8:53 AM in response to FMK205

Hello FMK205,

From your post it appears you are trying to remove items from the File app to help create additional available storage space.

You can find information about what the Files app contains: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you tap on Settings > [your name] > iCloud and check to see if iCloud Drive is toggled on. If it is, toggle it off and see if that helps.

Have a good day.

Feb 8, 2022 12:26 AM in response to FMK205

PS: One suggestion I've received through a different channel is to remove and reinstall the Files app. It's tempting, but I do want to be certain that removing the Files app removes only the app, not any user documents and such. My assumption would be that the Files app gives access to the iPad filesystem, but does not itself create, store or maintain user data. Is that right?

Feb 8, 2022 6:54 AM in response to bailier

Well, I don't know if they're stored in iCloud, because I don't know which files we're talking about. That's the essence of my question: the iPad reports 5GB of storage used by the Files app, but I don't know how to find out what those 5GB are. As long as I don't know that, I'm not eager to do anything about it blindly.

So again... given that Settings - General - iPad storage reports 5GB of Documents and Data for the Files app, and the Files app itself shows nothing like that amount of files, how can I find out which documents and data comprise those 5GB? I mean, if the iPad thinks there are 5GB of documents and data on the device, it should be possible to find them, shouldn't it?

And I'm going on the assumption that app-related documents and data are listed with the apps? So everything Facebook-related is listed under Facebook in iPad Storage, and everything Minecraft-related is listed under Minecraft? Is that right?

Feb 8, 2022 6:58 AM in response to FMK205

To clarify: I'm a Windows user myself, and am used to devices with a filesystem that I can access through, for instance, Explorer. The files are on the filesystem, and I use Explorer to view and manage the content of the filesystem. My interpretation of the Files app is that it's similar to Explorer, and shows the content of the iPad. Explorer itself is merely an app, and would never be listed as using GBs of storage. It's not clear to me though whether this comparison makes sense.

Feb 8, 2022 7:08 AM in response to ryane77

Hi @ryane77, contacting support is definitely one path I can take. But I'm really not asking to look into my specific situation; I'm asking how what I'm seeing normally relates to standard behavior of the iPad Files app, and to the actual storage on the device. More a matter of asking about the workings of the iPad.

Where is that 5GB worth of data in the Files app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.