Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tired of re-entering my password! Is there an alternative to MAIL?

Hello everyone,
Like many of you, I have been having problems with my MAIL account lately. Multiple times per day, and sometimes several times per hour, the little icon starts bouncing in the dock and an annoying little window pops up that tells me that "The POP server ' _____' rejected the password for ___(account)." and it forces me to "Please re-enter your password, or cancel".
Well, I am tired of re-entering my password, and I would like to CANCEL. Does anyone know if there is an alternative to MAIL that would allow me to send and receive e-mails on my iMAC and would also link with iPhoto? I have tried all of the suggestions that I have read about on other threads in this section, but nothing has worked, and I am tired of the problem.
I still love my MAC and my iPhone, but I am tired of the "MAIL" application.

Please help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.5), 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Posted on Aug 30, 2010 8:37 AM

22 replies

Aug 30, 2010 10:03 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Like many of you,

I haven't seen much discussion of this, so I don't know how 'many' you mean, but still…

I don't think your problem is Mail.app - at least not directly.

What Mail.app is telling you is that it couldn't log in to your mail account. While it reports the password as being the problem, that isn't necessarily the case. If the mail account is locked then you'd get the same error - the login failed. Since Mail.app doesn't necessarily know why it failed it assumes it was a wrong password.

The reason why re-entering the password 'fixes' the problem is that by the time you type the password and click OK the lock has been removed and the mailbox is available.

So the question is why is the mailbox locked?

The most likely cause is that you have multiple devices checking into your mailbox - maybe your Mac, your iPhone, your iPad, etc., etc.
If your iPhone is checking your POP account then Mail.app can't log in at that time. That's a limitation of POP.
If you have a lot or large messages in your mailbox then it could take several minutes to download to your iPhone, locking the mailbox for a significant period of time.
If you truly don't have any other devices then it could be someone else is logging in as you - in which case you should check the server logs to verify.

As for solution - either lower the frequency at which the other devices check mail, or switch to using IMAP, which is more tolerant of multiple accesses.

Aug 30, 2010 5:26 PM in response to Camelot

Hello Camelot,

When I searched this topic, looking up words like "password" and "re-enter" I found quite a few threads and comments, so I thought this was a fairly common problem, but maybe I'm one of the few?

Anyway, I'm not sure I understand your suggestions. I'm not that much of a Techie, so it may be obvious to others, but what do you mean by "switch to using IMAP, which is more tolerant"? How do I switch? What is IMAP? It may not actually help me, because I am not really a very big email user. I receive 5 to 10 emails per day (twenty on a really big day with some advertising junk). None of the e-mails are that big, very few photos, just normal e-mails from friends, family and colleagues at work. I do have an iPhone, but I didn't know that the two devices compete with each other? (I don't have any other devices that check email).

One of your solutions was to decrease the frequency that the devices check mail. Does this actually fix anything, or does it simply decrease the number of times the window pops up? I have had this problem for about the past year, but it seems to be getting worse over time.

I guess I was hoping that there might be a different e-mail program I could use? You know, like when people have trouble with "Internet Explorer" and they can switch to "Firefox" or "Safari"?

Thanks again!

Aug 31, 2010 9:51 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

One of your solutions was to decrease the frequency that the devices check mail. Does this actually fix anything, or does it simply decrease the number of times the window pops up?

It won't fix anything, but it will decrease the occurrences, but not just because you're checking less often.
Let me explain… assume that when a client (either Mail.app, your iPhone, or anything else) logs into the mail server it takes, say, 10 seconds to check the mailbox for new mail and log off (longer if there's new mail to download).
Now let's say you have your iPhone and Mail.app set to check once per minute then there's a 30% chance that the mailbox will be locked when either client tries to log in (for each minute the mailbox is locked for 10 seconds by Mail.app, and 10 seconds by the iPhone).
Now if the clients were set to check every 5 minutes the lockup period drops to 20 seconds every 5 minutes, or about a 6% chance.

so it may be obvious to others, but what do you mean by "switch to using IMAP, which is more tolerant"? How do I switch? What is IMAP?

There are two common protocols for mail clients. POP (Post Office Protocol) is the original, and probably more widely used than IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol).
The main difference is that with POP the client logs in, checks for new messages then downloads the entire message. The client also keeps track of the last message ID it has seen, so it can use that to detect new mail next time it logs in
IMAP, on the other hand, just downloads the message headers rather than the entire message, and leaves the message on the server. This makes the initial mail check much faster (less data to download) and is easier to keep multiple clients (Mail.app, iPhone, etc.) in sync.

As for how to switch, it's not easy to just switch from POP to IMAP. In Mail.app you need to create a new account (Mail -> Preferences) with IMAP.

I guess I was hoping that there might be a different e-mail program I could use?

If I'm right then another mail client isn't going to help. All you're going to do is move the problem from Mail.app to whatever other app you try.

Aug 31, 2010 11:59 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

Hey Lincoln,

Are you by chance using Google Apps to host your mail?

If you are, it's possible that you need to reset the CAPTCHA. To do so, go to https://www.google.com/a/yourdomain.com/UnlockCaptcha (make sure you switch out the "your domain" part). Enter your username (which is only what appears to the left of the "@" symbol) and your password, then click Unlock.

Sep 1, 2010 9:55 PM in response to Camelot

Hi Camelot,
I really appreciate your advice. I'm still having the same problem, but I think I sort of understand it. Something new is happening now, and I don't know if its happening because of all of the things that I have been trying to fix my frequent password issue? Or is it a new problem and I should start a new thread to ask the question?
I can receive mail, but I cannot send mail. When I checked the account preferences, it says that the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is OFFLINE. When I click on the edit server list button, there is no alternative. My smtp should be: smtp.live.com and it worked yesterday, and even earlier today, but not tonight? Any thoughts?

Sep 1, 2010 11:42 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

I can receive mail, but I cannot send mail. When I checked the account preferences, it says that the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) is OFFLINE. When I click on the edit server list button, there is no alternative. My smtp should be: smtp.live.com and it worked yesterday, and even earlier today, but not tonight?<<</div>

This is the same problem I have (or similar).... postet a request here but no one might know the answer. Mail worked well all the years – than the problem with password and SMTP-Server / not available or not accepting the right password even if I reEnter it ... received mails still 2 more days than this goes down as well now MAIL not sending / not receiving emails from my accounts I use. As I say it was never a problem before and worked well and the servers (POP) still have same settings same as me use same settings and passwords... so question is what happend that MAIL is not communicating right with POP / SMTP Server. Any thoughts? Pls. let me know - quite well appreciated.

Sep 2, 2010 2:58 PM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

I am having the same problem, and now I have a new one: most of my old messages have simply disappeared. I can't remember the last time I searched for something in an email message, but it wasn't very long ago. Today when I did that I had almost no messages left to search in, and my subfolders, which I use for sorting and storage, are empty. I have been through a lot of reinstalling, new user account, and so on in the last few weeks, but this seems to be a new problem. (And I checked my account preferences; they're still the same in terms of keeping mail, so it's not that.)

I have Time Machine backups, as well as a clone from last week; is there a way I can check in there?

Sep 3, 2010 10:19 PM in response to dbsneddon

Hello Dave,

I took a look at the Thunderbird 3.1 e-mail program and it looks pretty good. I am nervous about trying it because I'm not very savvy with my computer and I am afraid that if I don't like it, that I won't be able to get the "MAIL" program back. How does it work? If I download the program does it automatically replace the Mac mail program, or does it leave it, and do I then have two mail programs? (Sort of like when I downloaded Firefox, but I still have Safari and I can choose which one to use).

Does the Thunderbird program work with iPhoto and Address Book? If I select photos in iPhoto and click the "email" button will it open the Thunderbird program with the selected photos as attachments?

I really would like to try it. The "re-enter your password" problem is getting even worse and it is driving me crazy!

I will wait to hear from you, and anyone else who may have tried the Thunderbird program, and if the consensus is positive, I'm going to try it!

Lincoln

Sep 16, 2010 6:53 AM in response to Lincoln Nymeyer

I've had the problem for a long time. Very frustrating. Just discovered what MIGHT be a solution. I've made the changes for my account. I'm hopeful it will work.

Utilities > Keychain Access
Locate the password for the account. Example: MSN accounts are pop3.live.com and smtp.live.com.

Double click to open the window.
Select the Access Control tab.
In the box that says "Always allow access by these applications:" add Mail.

I'm not 100% this will work, but it seems to make lots of sense and feels right.

Good luck to all of us.

Sep 16, 2010 7:01 AM in response to Hodes

To add confidence to my previous suggestion:

My Mail program accesses four email accounts; I only had the problem with one of them. The Keychain Access showed that the passwords for all the other accounts allowed access by Mail - the only one that didn't was the account that kept failing.

I'm feeling very confident that this will be the solution.

My fingers are crossed.

Sep 16, 2010 9:26 PM in response to Hodes

Hello Hodes,
Thank you for your response. I checked the keychain access like you suggested. I have two e-mail accounts and they both already allow access by Mail. I was hoping you were right, and I hope it works for you, but I'm still stuck with re-entering my password almost everytime I use mail, and sometimes several times an hour while the mail program is open.

Very frustrating!

Thanks again.

Tired of re-entering my password! Is there an alternative to MAIL?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.