Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 4 screen flicker when waking from sleep

Hi,

I noticed that when I wake my iPhone from sleep it has a flicker before lockscreen appears. Has anybody else noticed this?

Mbp 13" mid 2010, iPhone 4 16GB, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 2:15 AM

29 replies

Oct 6, 2010 10:36 PM in response to Mpelusa

ok, so I tried a few things to see if I could figure out the problem. Specifically, what's happening is that occasionally when I unlock the phone, the screen starts flashing non-stop, then if I press the power button to lock the phone and then press the home button to wake it up again, the screen goes completely blank, although I can slide to unlock and still hear the click, but there is nothing on the screen. The only thing to do then is restart the phone. I think that it may be a compatibility problem with certain apps because if I leave these apps open in the background, then I can reproduce the flashing, but when they are closed, I cannot get it to flash. (so far I found that "awesome note and week calender" will cause the problem) If anybody has these same apps and is experiencing this problem, please respond.

Message was edited by: Mpelusa

Oct 7, 2010 9:13 PM in response to Mpelusa

same problem for me except it's probably a different app. i don't have "awesome note and week calendar" but i think it might be "justin.tv" and / or the "vonage mobile for facebook" app because the problem started a couple of days after i downloaded those apps.

anyone know how to get rid of the files associated with those apps but not lose any of the other data on the phone? backing the phone up won't help as the corrupt files will be backed up as well. i don't want to have to restore the phone to factory state.

Oct 15, 2010 4:25 PM in response to love_india

Same thing happens to me. Apple replaced my iPhone4 and told me the problem had something to do with restoring my old backup which was from a 1G iPhone. I'm still having the problem though. Probably because I don't think I did the restore correctly. I restored as a new iphone and then restored from my last saved iphone 4 backup to get my contacts and saved apps. I'm not sure how to restore as a new iphone and then get my apps and contacts back without restoring the old iphone 1g backup.

Oct 16, 2010 8:13 PM in response to Simoquasimo

Seems the screen flicker problem is fairly common. I just replaced my iPhone 4 (4.1 OS) yesterday for this exact reason with a new iPhone and I still have the same problem. It looks like it's either a firmware or hardware problem.

It happens for me randomly. Sometimes it happens when I launch an app. Sometimes it happens when the phone wakes from sleep. Sometimes it happens after a call ends.

I hope Apple acknowledges the problem and comes up with a solution soon. Having to reboot my phone is pretty annoying.

Oct 17, 2010 2:13 PM in response to steely27

I am currently on my 4th iphone 4 with the exact same flickering problem, leading to a blank screen, sound works but am unable to see anything on th screen & have to guess where to swipe to turn it off! I have been into apple store and they havent got a clue!! I had to 4 hour round trips to my nearest apple store, only to find less than 12 hrs later i still have the same fault!
Not happy!

Oct 22, 2010 6:35 AM in response to Simoquasimo

SOLVED (i think, well at least for me)
I think it's related to zoom (an accessibility feature in settings)

Here's my story in brief: I turned on zoom in settings a couple of months ago, and never used the feature since. I let a friend use my phone briefly (she's a non-Apple owner), and I think she must have inadvertently used the three finger zooming technique required by the accessibility zooming feature. I think she barely zoomed my phone in by couple of pixels, barely enough to notice. The flickering started right after I got it back from her.
Turning off zoom has fixed all the problems so far.

Here's a bit more detail:
My phone started acting very strangely a few days ago in ways that are similar to those described in this thread, plus something else:
1) flickering rapidly, maybe 5-10 times a second.
2) going blank completely, but still functioning normally.
3) bizarre corruption of the content on screen, including randomly sometimes appearing MASSIVELY zoomed in
4) strange blocks of color appearing randomly and briefly
5) one time, it would be blank, but then flicker rapidly when a swiping action was occurring
6) phone requires reboot to be useable again
7) AND this strange behavior: the home screen would appear ever so slightly ZOOMED IN, compared to my wife's identical phone. When changing apps, the screen would appear to shrink back to proper size, do it's cool switching animation, bring up the new app, and then zoom in ever so slightly. To be really specific, if you look at the iPhone 4 home screen, you can see that tiny 1mm or so white horizontal bar at the very bottom. Well, on my phone it would only appear maybe 0.1mm tall, because the screen had zoomed in by a few pixels. Same at the top, all the icons seemed closer to the edge of the screen.

My Solution: turn off zoom in accessability:
Settings-general-accessibility-zoom: OFF

It's fixed the zoom problem I had, and no flickering has occurred since. I'll keep an eye in things over the next few days and report back here.

I installed no new apps in the few days leading up to the sudden onset of my flickering.

I THINK IT'S FIXED!!

Oct 22, 2010 11:59 AM in response to loller

It's a corrupt (game) file.

I too had the same problem. Did a complete restore as a new phone.

I am reinstalling apps slowly(being selective). Too see which is the problem child. Sofar no flicking.

I did notice that the IPhone was very fast(running)with original apps that came with it. As I started to reinstall some of my apps it started to slow down (noticeable).

I think the problem is with auto brightness and game apps.

Message was edited by: dahammer1

iPhone 4 screen flicker when waking from sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.