Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard shortcut for Menu items with duplicate names?

Hi,

I see this has been asked in the past with no answer; I'll try again. I want to create a keyboard shortcut in Pages for the "Use Default" menu item, under the Baseline submenu. Problem is that the keyboard shortcut panel in System Preferences has you type the name of the menu item, and there is at least one other "Use Default" in Pages, in the Ligature submenu. What can I do? What I hoped I'd find was a syntax for specifying the full path, like "Format > Font > Baseline > Use Default".

thanks,
Rob

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Sep 8, 2010 3:53 AM

31 replies

Sep 8, 2010 5:11 AM in response to Robert Nikander

I don't think there's a resolution for this at the moment. Apple might be relying on UI designers to never duplicate a menu item for clarity in usability. Of course, that doesn't happen all the time (any browser with page/text "zoom" will encounter conflicts with window "zoom" if you ever try to assign a keyboard shortcut to either menu item; hello, Firefox!).

Dec 4, 2010 11:42 AM in response to A.Carlo

If Apple is relying on UI designers to never duplicate a menu item, this fact does not even seem to have been communicated to their own Mail.app UI designers.

I'm trying to set keyboard shortcuts for Mail's Format / Quote Level / Increase (and Decrease) menu items. Unfortunately, the menu items Format / Indentation / Increase (and Decrease) come first, so the keyboard shortcuts show up there.

Is there really no way to somehow specify the specific submenu that you want to set the keyboard shortcut in?

Dec 22, 2010 11:02 AM in response to Robert Nikander

You dont need to specify a submenu when making a shortcut.

Just type the name of the submenu exactly as it appears.

System Preferences > Keyboard > Keyboard Shortcuts > hit the + sign > Application: (Pick your application) > Menu Title: (enter the exact name of the menu item you are creation a shortcut for) > Keyboard Shortcut: (Type your keyboard shortcut) > click Add

Worked for me in iTunes to create a shortcut for ratings. (had to use the star symbol)

Jan 13, 2011 3:06 PM in response to REVBCO

Right but in Mail you have a duplicate submenu names that have a different function

Message > Move to > MyFolder

Message > Copy to > MyFolder

So if you create a shortcut as "MyFolder" for Mail, then it executes the second in the list, not the first.

I think however most people - like me- would like to be able to assign a short cut to the former, but to do this you'd need to be able to tell the command to apply to "Move to > MyFolder" and that does not seem to work.

Anyone?

Jan 13, 2011 5:14 PM in response to Robert Nikander

Not doable. If you want to report this issue to Apple's engineering, send a bug report or an enhancement request via its Bug Reporter system. To do this, join the Mac Developer Program—it's free and available for all Mac users and gets you a look at some development software. Since you already have an Apple username/ID, use that. Once a member, go to Apple BugReporter and file your bug report or enhancement request. The nice thing with this procedure is that you get a response and a follow-up number; thus, starting a dialog with engineering.

Feb 6, 2011 7:24 PM in response to Robert Nikander

Duplicate items showed up in Apple menu, along with a black outline on "chosen" sections instead of the usual yellow highlight.
Having read some others with similar problems it made me try to think back when it started (for me) and I believe it came from typing in the security code provided/required either by craig's list or ebay correspondence. One time I could not read the code and chose to have it read to me - which was also not understandable. Is this clue of any help to anyone? I see the black outline box is on craigslist, I think.

Aug 14, 2012 1:26 AM in response to LaraCroft_NYC

I can't manage to make it work.

I have to reach this menu item under Lightroom:

User uploaded file

...which is Located under "Library -> Plug-in Extras".

I created a keyboard shortcut this way:

Library>Plug-in Extras>Extended Search…

It doesn't work.

Could it be because of those grey titles? I tried to put them in the menu structure as penultimate level, but still can't manage to make it work.

Keyboard shortcut for Menu items with duplicate names?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.