Why not try and download the update 1st.
If u cannot Download from itunes try these links.
iPhone 3G 4.1 – (iPhone1,24.1_8B117Restore.ipsw)
iPhone 3GS 4.1 – (iPhone2,14.1_8B117Restore.ipsw)
iPhone 4 4.1 - (iPhone3,14.1_8B117Restore.ipsw)
If you wanna apply the new firmware open iTunes and go to summery page click SHIFT key + RESTORE button and select the firmware,
thanks makan, I may try that as a last resort. I would like to update my iPhone via the official channels through iTunes. Weird thing is that now there is no "error 3259", but just a message that states I have network timeout....the update downloads (I can see it in Windows Explorer as the file is downloading) and in the "processing file" stage the error occurs and the update file is deleted.
There was a problem downloading the software for the iPhone "<phone name>". The network connection timed out. Make sure you network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later.
For now, I'll just "try again later"
I can't believe this. All my DATA is gone. I have no pictures. All my Apps are messed up and the audio is gone as well. The Shift + Restore key option will revert the IPhone to its original factory settings. Which means that you have opened a brand new device just from your box. People I strongly disagree and not recommend this way t update the software. Its a real real mess. Even I restore the settings from the old backup, only a few things come back and not all. Apple has to get solutions to these issues. All my previous updates were done without any issues, Its just this 4.1 has created a lot of issues.
I don't see why you are REALLY ANGRY, it's your own fault. This isn't a 4.1 related issue, it always happens when u press restore (it even says it's gonna delete all your data, and that you should back up). You have to use Update instead :P
Oh and thnx for the solution to the original prob this topic was referring to, KIS 2011 decided to interfere with iTunes downloads.
I've had similar problems updating my iPod touch from iOS 3.1.3 to 4. I got the following behaviour:
1) The download finished (with 0.1MB being listed as remaining)
2) The system said processing file
3) After waiting a while iTunes informed by that the network connection had timed out; it deleted the download.
I finally managed to fix this by disabling my anti-virus and firewall.
1) I disabled my firewall by clicking on the start menu, choosing the run command and typing "services.msc" into the run box. I then found the service named "Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)" and stopped it.
2) I disabled my antivirus (in my case NOD32) by right clicking on the icon in the system tray and clicking "disable real time antivirus protectoin".
3) I ran the iPod update. This time it worked.
4) Once the update was completed I re-enabled my firewall and virus scanner.
Note that the update seems to involve backing up the iPod, deleting everything from your iPod, installing the new iOS, and then restoring the backup. Therefore if you just install the new software there is every chance you'll end up with a blank iPod/iPhone.
I know other people have said this, but thought someone might find more detail helpful.
Message was edited by: andy1982_UK