Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad says headphones are plugged in - but they aren't

I am unable to hear anything on my iPad b/c it seems to think that headphones are plugged into the machine, which they aren't. When headphones are plugged in, the volume works; however, once they're out, there isn't any volume. I have reset the iPad, but that didn't fix the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

Windows Vista

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 26, 2014 4:31 PM

Ive figured it out, this work for me:

1. Shut off iPad

2. When off, plug in the headphones you were using

3. Turn on and play music

4. Unplug headphones, music will pause. Then play and should work.

Best of luck

22 replies

Jun 14, 2012 9:32 AM in response to amytpetty

I also have an iPad 2 with the same issue. No sound through external speaker, plugged in headphones work fine. I have done everything from verify side switch settings, wiped and restored as a new iPad. Used canned air to blow out any possible debri inside the headphone jack. Problem began with intermittent sound cut-offs, and now it's completely gone. When I adjust the volume, it will also display (headphones) when none are plugged in. I have visited two different Genius Bars and they basically say that it could be a logic error within the main pcb board. And to make things worse, I've passed my warranty by about 38 days. So I'll have to pay $240 for repairs, (which I'm still considering). I should have gone at the first sign of trouble, but unfortunetly, I was always under the impression that it was a software/app/ glitch.... Oh woes is me....... :-(

May 21, 2015 9:46 PM in response to amytpetty

I tried the hair dryer, cleaning the headphone plug in with a cotton tip, plugging headphones in and out many times, turning my iPad off and on, holding the lock and home button in for 10 seconds and none of those worked until....

I got a wooden skewer, you could also try a tooth pick, and I'll put it in the head phone plug in and cleaned out the dust at the bottom and wiggled it around a little bit and it worked!!!

Sep 16, 2010 11:22 AM in response to amytpetty

I have similar problem but my ipad thinks it is permanently docked...this happened straight out of the box, I get no sound from the speakers just with headphones. I bought mine online from Hong Kong and I really am not impressed with apple customer service. It has been a nightmare to get them to replace to the point i have given up and will find some 3rd party to get this fixed. Shame as its an amazing bit of kit. I have also tried resetting with no luck so i suggest you go for a replacement as i am sure there is a dodgy batch in circulation also mine rattles...its a 3g 64 model with no sound and one unhappy customer. Good luck!

Aug 1, 2015 12:26 AM in response to amytpetty

I had a similar problem to everyone. My iPad Air kept saying it had headphones plugged in and there was no sound... unless you actually plugged headphones in. I tried all the things listed... Nothing worked for me, however on the premise of some of the other ideas I tried this: I have a iluv mobile speaker- Bluetooth. I plugged my iPad in with my apple cord to charge. I plugged in the my earbuds and put the volume as loud as it would go. Then I took my iluv mobile speaker and turned it on to connect to my iPad. Once connected I put my earbuds on the speaker and hit play on a video in Netflix. the mobile speaker picked up the sound in a few seconds. I unplugged the headphones and let the show play for a few minutes and then I turned off the mobile speaker..... And hooray the sound started coming from my iPad again. I did try this a couple times before I figured out that the sound had to be right on top of the speaker so it would pick it up. Hope that this helps others out there! Good Luck to you!

iPad says headphones are plugged in - but they aren't

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.