Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"server does not allow relaying" email error

Since upgrading to iPhone 4, sending an email always results in the error message "A copy has been placed in your outbox. The recipient "......@...." was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying. This happens regardless of the recipent. It also happens to a friend of mine who still has the iPhone 3G but has updated software. HELP PLEASE.

iPhone 4, iOS 4

Posted on Sep 15, 2010 10:25 PM

150 replies

Oct 31, 2010 9:13 AM in response to krystalmaree

If this is an AOL issue try this:

On your iPhone:
-Select Settings
-Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars
-Select your AOL.com account
-Select SMTP from the Account Info Page
-Select SMTP from the SMPT Page
-From the smtp.aol.com page
-Check that the Server is ON
-Check that the Host Name is smtp.aol.com
-Check that your User Name is correct
-Check that you Password is correct
-Check that Authentication is set to Password
-The Server Port should be 587

I did this for a friend's phone and it fixed it. A lot of folks think that if they enter the info in the Incoming Server section it gets automatically copied to the Outgoing. It does not.

Apr 6, 2011 8:37 PM in response to krystalmaree

After having the same issue w/ or w/o wifi enabled/connected I tried a solution that I've heard shouldn't make any difference but it did for me.

My solution, remove my AOL account or any account having the error message, turn off wifi, re-add the account and test w/ and w/o wifi. Worked perfectly for me and was much easier than checking the smtp settings.

Let me know if it doesn't work for you.

"server does not allow relaying" email error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.